Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] [RFC RESEND] virtio-video: Add virtio video device specification

Hello Gerd,

Thank you for your feedback.

There is no relationship between those. As I mentioned earlier. we have also
been working on a virtio video device at the same time. And there is no
relationship between the two specs.

I can point you to the differences I see:

virtio-vdec:
1. Both the device and the driver submit requests to each other. For each
request the response is sent as a separate request.
2. No support for getting/setting video stream parameters. For example
(decoder): output format (NV12, I420), so the driver cannot really select the
output format after headers have been parsed.
3. No support for getting plane requirements from the device (sg vs contig,
size, stride alignment, plane count).
4. In the vdec device Drain and Flush are not separate for each buffer queue.
So seek and dynamic resolution change (adaptive playback) cannot be
implemented because 'flush' can have different meaning for a resolution change
and a seek.
5. Decoder only: new devices will be needed to support encoder, processor or
capture. Currently input is always a bitstream, output is always a video
frame. No way set input format (needed for encoder, see 2).

virtio-video:
1. Uses the 'driver requests - device responses' model.
2. Does not  have the logical split of bitstreams and framebuffers, has only a
generic buffer object.
3. Generic: can support any type of video device right away due to flexibility
of stream configuration. Both input and output buffer queues can accept
bitstream and frame buffers and run independently. (more controls need to be
defined for e.g. camera)
4. Supports seek, drain, dynamic resolution change using an API agnostic
command set (no v4l2/vaapi or so on remoting).
5. Complex configuration (most likely cannot be simplified for such a complex
device type).

Best regards,
Dmitry.