Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Re: guest / host buffer sharing ...

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 2:55 AM Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> wrote:
> Each buffer also has some properties to carry metadata, some fixed (id, size, application), but
> also allow free form (name = value, framebuffers would have
> width/height/stride/format for example).

Sounds a lot like the recently added DMA_BUF_SET_NAME ioctls:

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/310349/

For virtio-wayland + virtio-vdec, the problem is sharing -- not allocation.

As the buffer reaches a kernel boundary, it's properties devolve into
[fd, size].  Userspace can typically handle sharing metadata.  The
issue is the guest dma-buf fd doesn't mean anything on the host.

One scenario could be:

1) Guest userspace (say, gralloc) allocates using virtio-gpu.  When
allocating, we call uuidgen() and then pass that via RESOURCE_CREATE
hypercall to the host.
2) When exporting the dma-buf, we call DMA_BUF_SET_NAME (the buffer
name will be "virtgpu-buffer-${UUID}").
3) When importing, virtio-{vdec, video} reads the dma-buf name in
userspace, and calls fd to handle.  The name is sent to the host via a
hypercall, giving host virtio-{vdec, video} enough information to
identify the buffer.

This solution is entirely userspace -- we can probably come up with
something in kernel space [generate_random_uuid()] if need be.  We
only need two universal IDs: {device ID, buffer ID}.

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 2:28 PM Geoffrey McRae <geoff@hostfission.com> wrote:
> The entire point of this for our purposes is due to the fact that we can
> not allocate the buffer, it's either provided by the GPU driver or
> DirectX. If virtio-gpu were to allocate the buffer we might as well
> forget
> all this and continue using the ivshmem device.

We have a similar problem with closed source drivers.  As @lfy
mentioned, it's possible to map memory directory into virtio-gpu's PCI
bar and it's actually a planned feature.  Would that work for your use
case?