Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] virtio-blk: What's up with VIRTIO_BLK_T_GET_ID (8)?

On 28.04.17 14:49, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 11:12:59AM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
I see the request type in $SUBJECT implemented in both Linux and QEMU,
but I can't find it in the standard.

If we believe that getting a s/n is useful, we should spec it;
otherwise, if we consider it just a legacy request type, it wouldn't
hurt to mention it in the legacy section.

It's not a legacy request type.

Alexey Zaytev documented it in 2012:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/virtualization/2012-December/022313.html

It was in the VIRTIO <1.0 spec:

https://github.com/rustyrussell/virtio-spec/blob/master/virtio-spec.lyx

I don't understand why it wasn't part of VIRTIO 1.0... :/

It's worth sending a patch to add the request type to the spec again.

What happened with this? I was already searching for weired queue corruptions in my implementation when I suddenly got this unspecified request type.

How should this be added? With a feature bit? Or just document the given reality (mandatory)?

Jan