Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] [RFC RESEND] virtio-video: Add virtio video device specification

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 1:16 AM Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> so we need some way to allocate buffers ...
>
> Buffer sharing with other devices can be added later.
>
> > > +The virtio video device is a virtual video streaming device that supports the
> > > +following functions: encoder, decoder, capture, output.
> > > +
> > > +\subsection{Device ID}\label{sec:Device Types / Video Device / Device ID}
> > > +
> > > +TBD.
> >
> > I'm wondering how and when we can determine and reserve this ID?
>
> Grab the next free, update the spec accordingly, submit the one-line
> patch.
>
> > > +\begin{lstlisting}
> > > +enum virtio_video_pixel_format {
> > > +       VIRTIO_VIDEO_PIX_FMT_UNDEFINED = 0,
> > > +
> > > +       VIRTIO_VIDEO_PIX_FMT_H264 = 0x0100,
> > > +       VIRTIO_VIDEO_PIX_FMT_NV12,
> > > +       VIRTIO_VIDEO_PIX_FMT_NV21,
> > > +       VIRTIO_VIDEO_PIX_FMT_I420,
> > > +       VIRTIO_VIDEO_PIX_FMT_I422,
> > > +       VIRTIO_VIDEO_PIX_FMT_XBGR,
> > > +};
> >
> > I'm wondering if we can use FOURCC instead. So, we can avoid reinventing a
> > mapping from formats to integers.
> > Also, I suppose the word "pixel formats" means only raw (decoded) formats.
> > But, it can be encoded format like H.264. So, I guess "image format" or
> > "fourcc" is a better word choice.
>
> Use separate pixel_format (fourcc) and stream_format (H.264 etc.) enums?
>
> > > +\begin{lstlisting}
> > > +struct virtio_video_function {
> > > +       struct virtio_video_desc desc;
> > > +       __le32 function_type; /* One of VIRTIO_VIDEO_FUNC_* types */
> > > +       __le32 function_id;
> > > +       struct virtio_video_params in_params;
> > > +       struct virtio_video_params out_params;
> > > +       __le32 num_caps;
> > > +       __u8 padding[4];
> > > +       /* Followed by struct virtio_video_capability video_caps[]; */
> > > +};
> > > +\end{lstlisting}
> >
> > If one device only has one functionality, virtio_video_function's fields will be
> > no longer needed except in_params and out_params. So, we'd be able to remove
> > virtio_video_function and have in_params and out_params in
> > virtio_video_capability instead.
>
> Same goes for per-function virtqueues (used virtqueue implies function).
>
> > > +\begin{lstlisting}
> > > +struct virtio_video_resource_detach_backing {
> > > +       struct virtio_video_ctrl_hdr hdr;
> > > +       __le32 resource_id;
> > > +       __u8 padding[4];
> > > +};
> > > +\end{lstlisting}
> > > +
> > > +\begin{description}
> > > +\item[\field{resource_id}] internal id of the resource.
> > > +\end{description}
> >
> > I suppose that it'd be better not to have the above series of T_RESOURCE
> > controls at least until we reach a conclusion in the thread of buffer-sharing
> > device. If we end up concluding this type of controls is the best way, we'll be

As an interim solution, this form of "manual resource backing-store
management" could be specified as a feature flag.
Once there is an established solution for buffer sharing, we would
then go ahead and introduce a new feature flag for "works with the
buffer sharing mechanism", as an alternative to this manual mechanism.

wdyt?