Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] [RFC RESEND] virtio-video: Add virtio video device specification

Hi,

Thanks. I sent https://markmail.org/message/jpjekiq7c4gkp6jt

> > Fourcc is used for both raw and coded formats.
> > I'm not sure if it makes much sense to define different enums for raw
> > and coded formats, as
> > we reuse any other structs for both types of formats.
> >
> > What I'd suggest is like this:
> >
> > #define FOURCC(a,b,c,d) (a | (b << 8) | (c << 16) | (d << 24))
> >
> > enum virtio_video_fourcc {
> >     VIRTIO_VIDEO_FOURCC_UNDEFINED = 0,
> >
> >     /* Coded formats */
> >     VIRTIO_VIDEO_FOURCC_H264 = FOURCC('H', '2', '6', '4'),
> >
> >     /* Raw formats */
> >     VIRTIO_VIDEO_FOURCC_NV12 = FOURCC('N', 'V', '1', '2'),
> > }
>
> Ok, that'll work.
>
> I've linked fourcc to drm fourcc codes in my head, and drm hasn't codes
> for the compressed formats.
>
> When defining things this way we should of course make sure that the raw
> format codes are identical to the ones drm uses.

Yes. For Linux, though we have different constants for drm foucc and
video fourcc,
actual values are identical.
(e.g. DRM_FORMAT_NV12 and V4L2_PIX_FMT_NV12)
Then, we will have one more constant representing the same format for virtio.

> Is there a formal standard for these codes btw?

RFC2361 defines FOURCCs for several formats, but it's not a formal
standard iiuc.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2361

> > > As an interim solution, this form of "manual resource backing-store
> > > management" could be specified as a feature flag.
> > > Once there is an established solution for buffer sharing, we would
> > > then go ahead and introduce a new feature flag for "works with the
> > > buffer sharing mechanism", as an alternative to this manual mechanism.
> > >
> > > wdyt?
> >
> > It'd be a good idea to change buffer management method by a feature flag.
>
> I don't think so.  A device might want support multiple kinds of buffer
> management, most notably both their own buffers and imported buffers.
> Indicating which methods are available can be done with feature flags,
> but actually picking one not.

Ah, you're right. Then, we might want to extend SET_PARAM or add a new control
to specify a way of buffer management.

> > In the first version of spec, we might want to support the minimal workable set
> > of controls. Then, we'll be able to add additional controls with a new feature
> > flag as Enrico suggested.
> >
> > So, the problem is what's the simplest scenario and which types of controls are
> > required there. I guess it's enough for (1) and (2) if we have T_RESOURCE_CREATE
> > and T_RESOURCE_DESTROY.
>
> For (1) you'll simply do a QUEUE_BUFFER.  The command carries references
> to the buffer pages.  No resource management needed.
>
> For (2) you'll have RESOURCE_CREATE + RESOURCE_DESTROY + QUEUE_RESOURCE,
> where RESOURCE_CREATE passes the scatter list of buffer pages to the
> host and QUEUE_RESOURCE will carry just the resource id.
>
> For (3) you'll have RESOURCE_IMPORT + RESOURCE_DESTROY + QUEUE_RESOURCE.

Thanks for the clarification.
On second thought, however, I'm wondering if we should keep all
RESOURCE controls.
This should be an option (4).
Even though (1) and (2) may be simpler, nobody wants to implement it so far.
Then, (4) would be the only scenario which virtio-video can work as a
stand alone and we have users of.

As a result, the initial version or virtio-video will
* keep 6 RESOURCE commands as this patch originally proposed,
* add a feature flag to show supported buffer management method, and
* add a field to specify buffer management method in
virtio_video_params, but only one method is defined.

WDYT?

Best regards,
Keiichi

Best regards,