Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] [RFC] Upstreaming virtio-wayland (or an alternative)

> > > Yes, sure, we need to exactly specify the different kinds of file
> > > handles / resources. I think it makes sense to have a virtio feature
> > > flag for each of them, so guest+host can easily negotiate what they are
> > > able to handle and what not.
> >
> > I was expecting that to be a feature of the resource producers
> > (virtio-gpu, virtio-fs, ...) rather than a feature of virtio-ipc
> > itself.
>
> "resources from other virtio devices" would be one virtio-ipc feature
> flag.  And, yes, that would for the most part have the other device
> handle the problem.
>
> But there also is "unix socket", or maybe a somewhat broader "stream",
> which would be another feature flag I guess because virtio-ipc would
> just tunnel the stream without the help from other devices.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? I can envision how
virtio-ipc would be a generic mechanism for passing data+virtio
resources, including any new types of resources it itself defines.
However, if "unix sockets" or a generic "stream" expands beyond
virtio, that seems too broad, with too many edge cases to be feasible
to implement.

-David