Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Backend libraries for VirtIO device emulation

On 06.03.20 21:24, Alex BennÃe wrote:
I suspect all of these multi-process models just hand wave away details
like migration because that really does benefit from a single process
with total awareness of the state of the system. That said I wonder how
robust a guest can be if the device emulation may go away at any time?

I guess in virtio if you never signal the consumption of a virt-queue it
will still be there waiting until you restart the emulation process and
pick up from where you left off?

The virtio spec seems be fine with individual backends dying. Recovery depends on the hypervisor maintaining state for the backends - not sure if that is easily doable, though.

But the challenge starts earlier: virtio-over-ivshmem is designed to support independent backends lifecycles (and has no state except for guest lifeness in the hypervisor). But while playing with that, I immediately ran into Linux frontend code assuming that a virtio device never dies (virtio console, IIRC). I suspect that there are more cases in Linux, not to speak of other guests.

Jan