Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Re: [Virtio-networking] Doorbell mapping of vDPA

On 2020/4/17 äå5:37, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 05:31:20PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
On 2020/4/17 äå2:39, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 12:22:04PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
On 2020/4/17 äå12:19, Jason Wang wrote:
On 2020/4/15 äå12:20, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 01:12:51PM +0000, Vitaly Mireyno wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From:virtio-networking-bounces@redhat.com
<virtio-networking-bounces@redhat.com>  On Behalf
Of Jason Wang
Sent: Tuesday, 7 April, 2020 10:56
To:virtio-networking@redhat.com; Virtio-Dev
<virtio-dev@lists.oasis-open.org>
Cc: Michael S. Tsirkin<mst@redhat.com>
Subject: [Virtio-networking] Doorbell mapping of vDPA

Hi all:

To get native performance of VF, we need to map doorbell to
guest to avoid unnecessary vmexit. In
order to do this, we will launch qemu with page-per-vq=on.
This means the each doorbell register
should be located at the beginning of 4K page and does not
share the page with other registers. Then
vDPA framework can safely map it into the guest physical
address (GPA) range defined by qemu. It
could be either

1) a single doorbell register that is used by all virtqueues

or

2) several different per-vq doorbell registers

If you decide to implement a virtio-pci register layout,
need to make sure for notification structure
(4.1.4.4 of virtio spec):

For each virtqueue, the result
ofcap.offset+queue_notify_off*notify_off_multiplier is PAGE_SIZE (e.g
4K) alignment, and the doorbeel does not share the page with
other registers.

And it would be better if queue_notify_off,
notify_off_multiplier can be changed via firmware for
extra flexibility.

In some cases, these conditions could not be met for a
virtio-net hardware device over PCI transport.
queue_notify and notify_off_multiplier could not always be fully
controlled by the firmware. There could be hardware limitations
on flexibility degree of these parameters.
Specifically, the limitations I'm thinking of are:
  Â * queue_notify_off>0 and notify_off_multiplier>0
  Â * Several doorbell registers of several virtqueues share the
same page (but don't share the page with other registers).

Can this be supported in vDPA with direct doorbell mapping?

Thanks
There's value in being able to intercept some vqs in software
while the rest of vqs are handled in hardware.
E.g. that's the case for e.g. the control vq.
Good point, so in this case, the doorbell of control vq must exclusively
own a page.
Or we need intercept the doorbells that share a page with control vq
doorbell.

Thanks
Which could be all of them. E.g. with a 4 byte offset, we are
talking 1K VQs per a 4k page.
Yes, so as I replied in another thread. The doorbell of control vq should
not share page with other doorbells.
Except page size can be as big as 64k on some systems.
The best thing is really if device just allows driver to write
anywhere within the page, taking VQ number from the data.

Just to make sure I understand, then there's no way to map them to guest?

Thanks