Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] On doorbells (queue notifications)

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 01:25:37PM +0200, Christophe de Dinechin wrote:

> > On 16 Jul 2020, at 12:00, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> I was also wondering about the efficiency of doorbells/notifications the
> >> other way. AFAIUI for both PCI and MMIO only a single write is required
> >> to the notify flag which causes a trap to the hypervisor and the rest of
> >> the processing. The hypervisor doesn't have the cost multiple exits to
> >> read the guest state although it obviously wants to be as efficient as
> >> possible passing the data back up to what ever is handling the backend
> >> of the device so it doesn't need to do multiple context switches.
> >>
> >> Has there been any investigation into other mechanisms for notifying the
> >> hypervisor of an event - for example using a HYP call or similar
> >> mechanism?
> >>
> >> My gut tells me this probably doesn't make any difference as a trap to
> >> the hypervisor is likely to cost the same either way because you still
> >> need to save the guest context before actioning something but it would
> >> be interesting to know if anyone has looked at it. Perhaps there is a
> >> benefit in partitioned systems where core running the guest can return
> >> straight away after initiating what it needs to internally in the
> >> hypervisor to pass the notification to something that can deal with it?
> >
> > It's very architecture-specific. This is something Michael Tsirkin
> > looked in in the past. He found that MMIO and PIO perform differently on
> > x86. VIRTIO supports both so the device can be configured optimally.
> > There was an old discussion from 2013 here:
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/4/299 <https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/4/4/299>
> >
> > Without nested page tables MMIO was slower than PIO. But with nested
> > page tables it was faster.
> >
> > Another option on x86 is using Model-Specific Registers (for hypercalls)
> > but this doesn't fit into the PCI device model.
>
> (Warning: What I write below is based on experience with very different
> architectures, both CPU and hypervisor; your mileage may vary)
>
> It looks to me like the discussion so far is mostly focused on a "synchronous"
> model where presumably the same CPU is switching context between
> guest and (host) device emulation.
>
> However, I/O devices on real hardware are asynchronous by construction.
> They do their thing while the CPU processes stuff. So at least theoretically,
> there is no reason to context switch on the same CPU. You could very well
> have an I/O thread on some other CPU doing its thing. This allows to
> do something some of you may have heard me talk about, called
> "interrupt coalescing".
>
> As Stefan noted, this is not always a win, as it may introduce latency.
> There are at least two cases where this latency really hurts:
>
> 1. When the I/O thread is in some kind of deep sleep, e.g. because it
> was not active recently. Everything from cache to TLB may hit you here,
> but that normally happens when there isn't much I/O activity, so this case
> [...]

Hi Christophe,
QEMU/KVM does something similar to what you described. In the perf
output above the vmexit kvm_fast_mmio event occurs on physical CPU
"[000]".  The IOThread wakes up on physical CPU "[001]". Physical CPU#0
resumes guest execution immediately after marking the ioeventfd ready.
There is no context switch to the IOThread or a return from
ioctl(KVM_RUN) on CPU#0.

The IOThread reads the eventfd. An eventfd is a counter that is reset to
0 on read. Because it's a counter you get coalescing: if the guest
performs multiple MMIO writes the ioeventfd counter increases but the
IOThread only wakes up once and reads the ioeventfd.

VIRTIO itself also has a mechanism for suppressing notifications called
EVENT_IDX. It allows the driver to let the device know that it does not
require interrupts, and the device to let the driver know it does not
require virtqueue kicks. This reminds me a bit of the mitigation
mechanism you described.

Stefan