Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Virtio device ID allocation

On Wed, 2 Dec 2020 12:29:41 +0100
"Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <lkml@metux.net> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>

> I'd like to allocate some virtio devices IDs:

The general procedure would be to send a patch to the virtio-comments
list, open an issue, and then request a vote. See
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec#providing-feedback

> a) IDs already used by the Linux kernel:
>
>    VIRTIO_ID_FS             = 26
>    VIRTIO_ID_PMEM           = 27
>    VIRTIO_ID_MAC80211_HWSIM = 29

These are already in the git tree (even though not yet in an official
version).

> b) new devices developed by myself:
>
>    VIRTIO_ID_GPIO           = 30
>    VIRTIO_ID_LED            = 31

These two are already reserved for video {en|de}coder devices; you'll
need to bump the numbers beyond 35.

>    (attached spec for gpio, led is still under development)

I don't think attachments will work on this list -- maybe post it as a
separate patch?

> c) planned devices: (no IDs chosen yet)
>
>    VIRTIO_CAN
>    VIRTIO_I2C

I2C has already been reserved (34); there's also discussion happening
about the proposed spec.