Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Packed ring only devices clarification

On 1/29/21 10:04 AM, Jason Wang wrote:

> On 2021/1/29 äå4:38, Maxime Coquelin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In the Virtqueues section of the Virtio specification [0], it is
>> mentioned that:
>>
>> "
>> Every driver and device supports either the Packed or the Split
>> Virtqueue format, or both.
>> "
>>
>> However, it seems there is no way to differentiate whether the device
>> supports both split and packed ring, or only packed ring by reading
>> its features bits.
>>
>> In the case of live-migration, it means we would need to trigger a
>> features negotiation before the migration is initiated, and see if
>> FEATURES_OK device status bit is set. Still, we could not be sure a
>> failure would be due to the device supporting only packed ring.
>>
>> Is my understanding correct?
>

> Yes, I think so.
>

>> If so, maybe we would need to introduce a new feature bit for split
>> ring, and also a feature bit indicating compliance with the new spec
>> version for backward compatibility:
>>
>> VIRTIO_F_VERSION_1_2(39):
>> ÂÂÂÂ This indicates compliance with Virtio version 1.2 specification.
>>
>> VIRTIO_F_RING_SPLIT(40):
>> ÂÂÂÂ This feature indicates support for the split virtqueue layout as
>> ÂÂÂÂ described in 2.6 Split Virtqueues.
>

> A question here, do we want to fix this issues with old driver (when
> both of the above are not negotiated)?

Could you elaborate please? I am not sure to understand your question.

For existing devices only supporting packed ring (if it exists, I don't
know any for now), maybe their drivers could have a quirk adding above
features. If we do that, we may want to rename VIRTIO_F_VERSION_1_2 with
something else to restrict it to rings layout support.

Thanks,
Maxime