Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] review of virtio-can (was: Re: MSG_CONFIRM RX messages with SocketCAN known as unreliable under heavy load?)

Am 14.07.21 um 09:15 schrieb Michael S. Tsirkin:

As mentioned before don't make this AUTOSAR specific.
If the specs are more or less identical it might be worth it to link
to AUTOSAR too just because it can be downloaded for free.

--
MST

The specs are not identical. But the specifications do not contradict, we are talking about the same CAN. From this point of view inclusion would be ok. But there was already a comment about the AUTOSAR specifications highliting a problem. While the AUTOSAR spec is downloadable for free it is not usable for free for all purposes. This may be a problem or even a trap for people.

AUTOSAR CP R20-11 says on page 9 chapter "Disclaimer":

"This work (specification and/or software implementation) and the material contained in it, as released by AUTOSAR, is for the purpose of information only. ..."

"The material contained in this work is protected by copyright and other types of intellectual property rights. The commercial exploitation of the material contained in this work requires a license to such intellectual property rights. This work may be utilized or reproduced without any modification, in any form or by any means, for informational purposes only. ..."

Cannot judge the exact impact of those sentences, I'm an engineer not a lawyer. Not my field of expertise. Free downloadable seems not to mean free usable so it may indeed be better to get rid of this reference here. Poisoned? Don't know, looks so.

Regards
Harald

--

Dipl.-Ing. Harald Mommer
Senior Software Engineer

OpenSynergy GmbH
Rotherstr. 20, 10245 Berlin

Phone:  +49 (30) 60 98 540-0 <== Zentrale
Fax:    +49 (30) 60 98 540-99
E-Mail: harald.mommer@opensynergy.com

www.opensynergy.com

Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 108616B
GeschÃftsfÃhrer/Managing Director: Regis Adjamah