Subject: Re: Enabling hypervisor agnosticism for VirtIO backends

On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 01:53:34PM +0100, Alex Bennée wrote:

> Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]

> >> One option we should consider is for each backend to connect to Xen via
> >> the IOREQ interface. We could generalize the IOREQ interface and make it
> >> hypervisor agnostic. The interface is really trivial and easy to add.
> >> The only Xen-specific part is the notification mechanism, which is an
> >> event channel. If we replaced the event channel with something else the
> >> interface would be generic. See:
> >> https://gitlab.com/xen-project/xen/-/blob/staging/xen/include/public/hvm/ioreq.h#L52
> >
> > There have been experiments with something kind of similar in KVM
> > recently (see struct ioregionfd_cmd):
> > https://lore.kernel.org/kvm/dad3d025bcf15ece11d9df0ff685e8ab0a4f2edd.1613828727.git.eafanasova@gmail.com/
>
> Reading the cover letter was very useful in showing how this provides a
> separate channel for signalling IO events to userspace instead of using
> the normal type-2 vmexit type event. I wonder how deeply tied the
> userspace facing side of this is to KVM? Could it provide a common FD
> type interface to IOREQ?

I wondered this too after reading Stefano's link to Xen's ioreq. They
seem to be quite similar. ioregionfd is closer to have PIO/MMIO vmexits
are handled in KVM while I guess ioreq is closer to how Xen handles
them, but those are small details.

It may be possible to use the ioreq struct instead of ioregionfd in KVM,
but I haven't checked each field.

> As I understand IOREQ this is currently a direct communication between
> userspace and the hypervisor using the existing Xen message bus. My
> worry would be that by adding knowledge of what the underlying
> hypervisor is we'd end up with excess complexity in the kernel. For one
> thing we certainly wouldn't want an API version dependency on the kernel
> to understand which version of the Xen hypervisor it was running on.
>
> >> There is also another problem. IOREQ is probably not be the only
> >> interface needed. Have a look at
> >> https://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=162373754705233&w=2. Don't we also need
> >> an interface for the backend to inject interrupts into the frontend? And
> >> if the backend requires dynamic memory mappings of frontend pages, then
> >> we would also need an interface to map/unmap domU pages.
> >>
> >> These interfaces are a lot more problematic than IOREQ: IOREQ is tiny
> >> and self-contained. It is easy to add anywhere. A new interface to
> >> inject interrupts or map pages is more difficult to manage because it
> >> would require changes scattered across the various emulators.
> >
> > Something like ioreq is indeed necessary to implement arbitrary devices,
> > but if you are willing to restrict yourself to VIRTIO then other
> > interfaces are possible too because the VIRTIO device model is different
> > from the general purpose x86 PIO/MMIO that Xen's ioreq seems to
> > support.
>
> It's true our focus is just VirtIO which does support alternative
> transport options however most implementations seem to be targeting
> virtio-mmio for it's relative simplicity and understood semantics
> (modulo a desire for MSI to reduce round trip latency handling
> signalling).

Okay.

Stefan