Subject: RE: queue_reset register polarity to improve

Right.

> > f) 1,0 -> vq is enabled and working again
>

> It can actually be any value, the spec just says
>
> If VIRTIO_F_RING_RESET has been negotiated, after the driver writes 1 to
> \field{QueueReset} to reset the queue, it MUST verify that the queue has
> been reset by reading back \field{QueueReset} and ensuring that it is 1.
>
> So can be 2 or whatever, so one can distinguish between the two states.

It is sub-optimal for device to burn more than one bit to implement/return value 2, which can be communicated using single bit.
So, 0 is preferred as this the value at default reset time.

> Spec really should clarify what to do if it is not 1 (i.e. read it again until it is 1) .
>

> > Instead, I think we should have below better, consistent definition, no
> matter how queue reset occurs (init time or later).
> >
> > q_enable, q_reset
> > A) 0, 0 -> default, device init time
> > B) 1, 0 -> driver has enabled vq
> > C) 1, 1 -> driver started q reset
> > D) 1, 1 -> q_reset stays 1 until device is busy resetting vq
> > (communicating that its working on resetting, consistent with #C)
> > E) 0, 0 -> q_reset by device is completed, q got disabled (now matches
> > the state same as device init time #A)
> >
> > Parav
>

> Well it's been merged since November.
Merged on dec-21 to be more precise. :)

> Probably too late unless you can
> convince the TC that the current feature should be abandoned and the
> feature completely redesigned. Above does not look like a deal breaker.

I don't see a need for abandoning and redesigning this feature.
Not sure if any driver+device already produced and consumed which cannot be fixed.
The spec is not released yet, we should be able to fix it.

> If we are to re-design it, I would maybe instead rework things so
> queue_enable can be written to, to stop vq without a reset. Will need careful
> work for transports other than PCI since those already allow writing into e.g.
> QueueReady.

Reusing queue_enable to disable the queue require driver writing zero, device returning 1 till its enabled, and device returning 0 when done.
This can be supported using the new VIRTIO_F_RING_RESET flag.
This way we have single bit to control enablement/disablement the VQ regardless of DRIVER_OK state.

> If possible, please open a github issue so we can track this for the release.
Done at [1]

[1] https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/issues/139
Do we continue to discuss this over email or in github now?