Subject: virtio-gpu: Clarification regarding VIRTIO_GPU_CMD_TRANSFER_TO_HOST_2D

Hello,

I believe there is a bug in QEMU's implementation of
VIRTIO_GPU_CMD_TRANSFER_TO_HOST_2D. However it is not clear to me what
the correct behaviour should be.

The specification says the driver must "allocate a framebuffer from
guest ram, and attach it as backing storage to the resource just
created". To me this implies that the size of the backing storage must
match the size of the resource.

Consequently I intuitively expect that to update a rectangle R in the
resource the same rectangle must be updated in the backing store, i.e:

     +--------------------+    +--------------------+
     |                    |    |                    |
     |        Host        |    |       Backing      |
     |      Resource      |    |       Storage      |
     |   +-----+          |    |   +-----+          |
     |   |     |          |    |   |     |          |
     |   |  R  |          |    |   |  R  |          |
     |   |     |          |    |   |     |          |
     |   +-----+          |    |   +-----+          |
     +--------------------+    +--------------------+

However, QEMU actually starts drawing from the upper-left corner of the
backing storage:

     +--------------------+    +-----+--------------+
     |                    |    |     |              |
     |        Host        |    |  R  | Backing      |
     |      Resource      |    |     | Storage      |
     |   +-----+          |    +-----+              |
     |   |     |          |    |                    |
     |   |  R  |          |    |                    |
     |   |     |          |    |                    |
     |   +-----+          |    |                    |
     +--------------------+    +--------------------+

Reading the specification again I realized it does not explicitly
mandate that the size of the backing storage must match the size of the
resource. But if that were the case I would expect QEMU to behave like this:

     +--------------------+    +--------------------+
     |                    |    |      R     +-------+
     |        Host        |    +------------+       |
     |      Resource      |    |                    |
     |   +-----+          |    |       Backing      |
     |   |     |          |    |       Storage      |
     |   |  R  |          |    |                    |
     |   |     |          |    |                    |
     |   +-----+          |    |                    |
     +--------------------+    +--------------------+

The relevant code in QEMU is in virtio_gpu_transfer_to_host_2d:

     format = pixman_image_get_format(res->image);
     bpp = DIV_ROUND_UP(PIXMAN_FORMAT_BPP(format), 8);
     stride = pixman_image_get_stride(res->image);

     if (t2d.offset || t2d.r.x || t2d.r.y ||
         t2d.r.width != pixman_image_get_width(res->image)) {
         void *img_data = pixman_image_get_data(res->image);
         for (h = 0; h < t2d.r.height; h++) {
             src_offset = t2d.offset + stride * h;
             dst_offset = (t2d.r.y + h) * stride + (t2d.r.x * bpp);

             iov_to_buf(res->iov, res->iov_cnt, src_offset,
                        (uint8_t *)img_data
                        + dst_offset, t2d.r.width * bpp);

I would expect src_offset to either be

     src_offset = dst_offset;

if the backing storage's size is supposed to match the resource's size.
If not, I'd expect src_offset to be

     src_offset = t2d.offset + t2d.r.width * h;

My question boils down to:

- Is QEMU's implementation correct?
   - If yes, what is the motivation behind it? Especially, what is the
purpose of the explicit offset?
   - If not, what is the expected behaviour?

With kind regards,
David Hoppenbrouwers