Subject: Re: [virtio-dev] Next VirtIO device for Project Stratos?

* Stefan Hajnoczi (stefanha@redhat.com) wrote:
> [...]
> > > are in use cases between virtio-gpu and virtio-wayland. virtio-wayland
> > > is currently a ChromeOS only invention so hasn't seen any upstreaming or
> > > specification work but may make more sense where multiple VMs are
> > > drawing only elements of a final display which is composited by a master
> > > program. For further reading see Alyssa's write-up:
> > >
> > >   https://alyssa.is/using-virtio-wl/
> > >
> > > I'm not sure how widely used the existing vhost-user backend is for
> > > virtio-gpu but it could present an opportunity for a more beefy rust-vmm
> > > backend implementation?
> >
> > As I understand it, virtio-wayland is effectively deprecated in favour
> > of sending Wayland messages over cross-domain virtio-gpu contexts.  It's
> > possible to do this now with an upstream kernel, whereas virtio-wayland
> > always required a custom driver in the Chromium kernel.
> >
> > But crosvm is still the only implementation of a virtio-gpu device that
> > supports Wayland over cross-domain contexts, so it would be great to see
> > a more generic implementation.  Especially because, while crosvm can
> > share its virtio-gpu device over vhost-user, it does so in a way that's
> > incompatible with the standardised vhost-user-gpu as implemented by
> > QEMU.  When I asked the crosvm developers in their Matrix channel what
> > it would take to use the standard vhost-user-gpu variant, they said that
> > the standard variant was lacking functionality they needed, like mapping
> > and unmapping GPU buffers into the guest.
>
> That sounds somewhat similar to virtiofs and its DAX Window, which needs
> vhost-user protocol extensions because of how memory is handled. David
> Gilbert wrote the QEMU virtiofs DAX patches, which are under
> development.
>
> I took a quick look at the virtio-gpu specs. If the crosvm behavior you
> mentioned is covered in the VIRTIO spec then I guess it's the "host
> visible memory region"?
>
> (If it's not in the VIRTIO spec then a spec change needs to be proposed
> first and a vhost-user protocol spec change can then support that new
> virtio-gpu feature.)
>
> The VIRTIO_GPU_CMD_RESOURCE_MAP_BLOB command maps the device's resource
> into the host visible memory region so that the driver can see it.
>
> The virtiofs DAX window uses vhost-user slave channel messages to
> provide file descriptors and offsets for QEMU to mmap. QEMU mmaps the
> file pages into the shared memory region seen by the guest driver.
>
> Maybe an equivalent mechanism is needed for virtio-gpu so a device
> resource file descriptor can be passed to QEMU and then mmapped so the
> guest driver can see the pages?
>
> I think it's possible to unify the virtiofs and virtio-gpu extensions to
> the vhost-user protocol. Two new slave channel messages are needed: "map
> <fd, offset, len> to shared memory resource <n>" and "unmap <offset,
>  len> from shared memory resource <n>". Both devices could use these
> messages to implement their respective DAX Window and Blob Resource

It might be possible; but there's a bunch of lifetime/alignment/etc
questions to be answered.

For virtiofs DAX we carve out a chunk of a BAR as a 'cache' (unfortunate
name) that we can then do mappings into.

The VHOST_USER_SLAVE_FS_MAP/UNMAP commands can do the mapping:
https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu/-/commit/7c29854da484afd7ca95acbd2e4acfc2c75ef491
https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu/-/commit/f32bc2524035931856aa218ce18efa029b9eed02

those might do what you want if you can figure out a way to generalise
the bar to map them into.

There are some problems; KVM gets really really upset if you try and
access an area that doesn't have a mapping or is mapped to a truncated
file;  do you want the guest to be able to crash like that?

Dave