Subject: Re: [virtio] Groups - Action Item "Create text version of virtio 0.9.5 document" added

On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 10:46 +0100, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > 	o NOP/null/dummy device
> >
> > Reserve ID 0 for devices with no function and specify drivers behaviour
> > for them. Usecase: qemu folk want to be able to create a pool of memory
> > mapped devices and assign functions to them later, although before the
> > OS is actually initialized.
>
> Sounds a bit crazy,

Thank you :-)

> probably won't work for PCI (spec violation).

Em, which one of specs? What I'm talking about is reserving a "Subsystem
Device ID" (p.2.1 of the current spec) value 0 to a "device that does
nothing" (is not a network card, nor block device, nor console, nor etc.
nor anything else) and specifying how is the guest supposed to behave
with such device (do nothing). In the current speech it would be
"Appendix I: Doing Nothing Device", following "Appendix I: SCSI Host
Device". How does this break anything?

> Link to a discussion?

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.virtualization/20144

Paweł