Subject: Re: [virtio] [OASIS Issue Tracker] Created: (VIRTIO-45) Timer/Clock device

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 12:47:39PM +0000, OASIS Issues Tracker wrote:
> Timer/Clock device
> ------------------
>
>                  Key: VIRTIO-45
>              Project: OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC
>           Issue Type: New Feature
>             Reporter: Daniel Kiper
>

> There is no timer/clock device in VIRTIO specification. Maybe we should consider addition of one.

General idea is that if we build hardware independent block, network
and other devices then maybe it makes sens to build hardware independent
timer/clock. As I know exiting hardware timers/clocks are quite difficult
to emulate properly in virtual environments. Most problems are solved
right now but maybe we should still consider addition of timer/clock spec
in new VIRTIO spec. This way we will make stable time source for virtual
guests without issues and limitations imposed by existing and new relevant
hardware devices.

Daniel