Subject: Re: [virtio] Ongoing virtio document prettification

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 09:25:55PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 07:50:16PM +0100, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 17:24:20 +0100
> > Cornelia Huck <cornelia.huck@de.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > > FWIW, my ongoing work on the virtio document is sitting on github:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/cohuck/virtio-spec.git prettify
> > >
> > > (branch will be rebased)
> >
> > I've tried to find out how to work with the predefined environments in
> > command-{pdf,html}.tex for the bit definitions etc., but could not find
> > a good way. The current topmost commit converts the status bit
> > definitions to a tabularx, which is the version I currently like best.
>
> Pls make sure they look ok in HTML too though.
> Not complaining as I didn't check myself, just reminding.
>
> > Might be a model for the feature bit lists. Feedback welcome.
>
> Something like description might be a good fit too.
> This is what Rusty used originally.
> So I would let him decide.
> In fact you can get some of the goodies for free simply by
> getting the old lyx from git and exporting to xetex from there.
>
> Beats writing it from scratch manually.

E.g. it had:
\begin{description}
\item [{ACKNOWLEDGE~(1)}] Indicates that the guest OS has found the
device
and recognized it as a valid virtio device.
\item [{DRIVER~(2)}] Indicates that the guest OS knows how to drive the
device. Under Linux, drivers can be loadable modules so there may
be a significant (or infinite) delay before setting this bit.
\item [{DRIVER\_OK~(4)}] Indicates that the driver is set up and ready
to drive the device.
\item [{FAILED~(128)}] Indicates that something went wrong in the guest,
and it has given up on the device. This could be an internal error,
or the driver didn't like the device for some reason, or even a fatal
error during device operation. The device must be reset before
attempting
to re-initialize.
\end{description}