Subject: Re: Touch-ups needed for the virtio csd01 and csprd01 file "front matter"

A bit of follow-up on the "fi" and "ff" issue:

- first, I see that the TC (?) apparently ran into the issue and introduced a workaround in the file /tex/makehtml.sh
#For some unclear reason we get 'fi' replaced by NULL character
#on Fedora. file recognizes result as a binary data.

- second, for what it's worth, a bit of information which indicates that there may be a way to shut it off in TeX:

"TeX is an example of a computer typesetting system that makes use of ligatures automatically. The Computer Modern Roman typeface provided with TeX includes the five common ligatures fffiflffi, and ffl. When TeX finds these combinations in a text it substitutes the appropriate ligature, **unless overridden by the typesetter.**" [1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typographic_ligature#Computer_typesetting

This isn't an area where I can likely be of much help other than to wish you luck...

Best regards,
Paul