Subject: Re: [virtio] Feedback: PCI device spec

On Tue, 2014-01-28 at 16:58 +0000, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> ATM you can put any value that makes sense there I think, drivers will bind
> and work.

That's true, I'm fine with this.

But try to put yourself into such guy's shoes. You know nothing about
virtio. You have to implement a virtio PCI device for your custom
system. You're looking at the PCI spec, which tells you that you've got
to put some values into the device's configuration space. And the virtio
spec doesn't tell you what numbers should you use.

I appreciate it's convenient for us not to specify such details. Maybe
it's the right thing to do. But I also understand my colleague's
frustration with this aspect of the spec. Thus the discussion.

Paweł