Subject: Re: [virtio] We need fixes to the csd and csprd before we can load them

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 04:56:58PM -0400, Chet Ensign wrote:
> Michael, Paul does raise a key point. Our mechanics with the specification
> documents is that the listings in the This version / Previous version / Latest
> version links all point to *some* file, some physical artifact. In the case of
> multi-part specifications, it will point to Part 1 and readers are expected to
> figure out there are also parts 2, 3, etc. But we do take them to something,
> not a directory. And in fact, it isn't clear what we'll do with the Latest
> version link if there's no file at the end of the link.

Hmm I think this should not be a problem:
in draft 01 latest version link pointed at the HTML,
that in turn includes links to all the rest of formats
right on the title page.

> I can understand that you view the TeX files as the final source if there are
> any discrepancies and in that sense they are definitive. On the other hand,
> it's not clear how many people are actually going to be in a position to read
> the TeX in any useful way.
>
> However, to go forward with TeX as the authoritative source, I think the point
> Paul has raised with me is right - we'll need to point to *something* - even if
> it is just a readme file that explains the organization of the TeX files to the
> readers. I don't think the ZIP file is the answer there because that would
> still leave someone like me going "ok - so what have I got here?"
>
> /chet

Well I made it so README.txt is the first one alphabetically and
the first in zip listing, so almost any tool should
display it prominently at the top.
Once one reads this file, the question should be really easy to answer.

But if you prefer, how about we tweak README.txt like this:

--->
This is one component of a Work Product that also includes:

    Abstract:
	http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/csd01/tex/abstract.tex
    Introduction:
	http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/csd01/tex/introduction.tex
    Main specification content:
	http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/csd01/tex/content.tex
    Conformance targets and clauses:
	http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/csd01/tex/conformance.tex
    Acknowledgements:
	http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/csd01/tex/acknowledgements.tex
    TeX source files for generating output in pdf and html format:
	http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/csd01/tex/
<----

(tweak URIs as needed) and link to that as the authoritative file.

will this address all concerns?
Pls let me know.