Subject: Re: [virtio] Re: towards draft 3 / virtio 1.0

On Wed, 2014-06-25 at 13:24 +0100, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> OK I will try this but I note this gives us back
> DIFaddbegin/DIFaddend.
> You are saying with \begingroup/\endgroup color stack
> overflow errors go away?

Yes. Commands like \color apply to a single group, usually marked with
curly brackets {xxx}, with \bgroup and \begingroup (there's some subtle
difference I don't really understand; enough to say that \bgroup didn't
work for me ;-). I have no idea why are they pushed to a stack, if there
seem to be no pop operation, but just enclosing a change in a separate
group seems enough. That's what my first proposal did (notice extra {}
in \DIFaddtex), but as you pointed out it missed some bits.

> How about footnotes?
> Is there a way to fix them without an external script?
> Would be nice if the footnote mark was also crossed-out ...

Right, my first version did it, then I forgot to check it. Anyway, this
(slightly suboptimal, but I couldn't care less) should cover all cases
(I see footnotes on page 59 coloured):

8<----------------------
%DIF FONTSTRIKE PREAMBLE
\RequirePackage[normalem]{ulem}
\providecommand{\DIFaddtex}[1]{\color{blue}\sf #1}
\providecommand{\DIFdeltex}[1]{\color{red}\footnotesize \sout{#1}}
%DIF END FONTSTRIKE PREAMBLE
%DIF COLOR PREAMBLE
\RequirePackage{color}
\providecommand{\DIFaddbegin}{\begingroup\color{blue}}
\providecommand{\DIFaddend}{\endgroup}
\providecommand{\DIFdelbegin}{\begingroup
\color{red}\hypersetup{linkcolor=red,urlcolor=red}}
\providecommand{\DIFdelend}{\hypersetup{linkcolor=green,urlcolor=green}\endgroup}
%DIF END COLOR PREAMBLE
% Standard \DIFadd and \DIFdel are redefined as \DIFaddtex and
\DIFdeltex
% when hyperref package is included.
%DIF HYPERREF PREAMBLE
\providecommand{\DIFadd}[1]{\texorpdfstring{\DIFaddtex{#1}}{#1}}
\providecommand{\DIFdel}[1]{\texorpdfstring{\DIFdeltex{#1}}{}}
%DIF END HYPERREF PACKAGE

%DIF FLOATSAFE PREAMBLE: SEEMS UNUSED BUT JUST IN CASE
\providecommand{\DIFaddFL}[1]{\DIFaddtex{#1}}
\providecommand{\DIFdelFL}[1]{\DIFdeltex{#1}}
\providecommand{\DIFaddbeginFL}{}
\providecommand{\DIFaddendFL}{}
\providecommand{\DIFdelbeginFL}{}
\providecommand{\DIFdelendFL}{}