Subject: Re: [virtio] rearranging the tree

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 12:19:22PM +0100, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 18:28:49 +0200
> "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I'd like to re-arrange the tree to match standard
> > svn layout.
>
> Could you elaborate for those of us not familiar with svn?

OK.

At the moment we have all files under
https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/virtio
this means we can not create tags or branches
since in svn these are sub-directories - and
there is no where to put them.

The standard calls for this layout:

https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/virtio/trunk
https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/virtio/branches
https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/virtio/tags

and each tag/branch is a sub-directory there.

This re-arrangement more or less disconnects files from history: you can
retrieve all old history before old v1.0, or you can retrieve
new history since v1.0, but not both in same local repo or at least not
conveniently.

> > This means it will be slightly trickier to get
> > at the pre-move content, if anyone wants to
> > see that history.
> >
> > Specifically one needs to know the exact revision to
> > check out.
>
> Is it possible to add tags or something like that?

It will be *after* the refactoring.

> > I'll add a README file to document the steps.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> My main concern would be that I'd still want to use git-svn with local
> git branches for cherrypicking etc. Otherwise, I don't care too much.

That will still work, but you will have to re-create your git tree.

--
MST