Subject: virtio svn repository reorganization

Hello, virtio TC members!
I have committed svn revisions 436 to 439 and have completed
our svn repository reorganization.

What does it mean for you?

You should create a new clone of the svn repository.

git svn clone -s https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/virtio

Note the presence of the -s flag.

Afterwards, you can keep working as previously.

If you have an existing svn or git svn checkout of our repository
and update it, you will have trunk, branches and tags
directories created, and a README.txt file in the
current directory will include the following text:

	This repository is organized as follows:
	trunk/		main development branch for future spec revision
	branches/	bugfix branches for released revisions
	tags/		tag snapshots taken after each release

	Recommended workflow:

	  # Create local virtio subdir with git - svn bridge.
	  # Important: don't miss the -s flag.
	  git svn clone -s https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/virtio

	  # To update from svn repo
	  git svn pull

	  # To update from svn repo and rebase your (unpublished) git commits
	  git svn rebase

	  # To push your changes into repo
	  git svn dcommit

	Warning! merges using git are not supported; Use rebase/cherry-pick/revert
	but keep history linear.

	Prior revision v1.0-cs01, stored in svn as revision @435,
	all development was done directly in the current directory.

	To retrieve repository up to that point only, use
	git svn clone 0:435 https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/virtio

What does all this give us?
Ability to retrieve specific branches and tags.

For example, a specific released revision:

git checkout origin/tags/v1.0-cs01

or a specific stable branch:

git checkout -b v1.0 origin/v1.0

What's next?

On branch v1.0, I'll prepare a draft cs02 and we'll vote on a motion to
request that a Special Majority Vote be held to approve that working
draft as a Committee Specification.

Meanwhile, we can keep the development going on trunk.

Please remember not to do merges between trunk and branches:
instead, simply cherry-pick changes as appropriate.

Thanks,

--
MST