Subject: Re: [virtio] [OASIS Issue Tracker] (VIRTIO-156) add VIRTIO_SCSI_F_FC_HOST feature

On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 07:32:08 +0000 (UTC)
OASIS Issues Tracker  <workgroup_mailer@lists.oasis-open.org> wrote:

>     [ https://issues.oasis-open.org/browse/VIRTIO-156?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=65000#comment-65000 ]
>
> Michael S. Tsirkin commented on VIRTIO-156:
>
> BALLOT CREATED AT URL: https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/virtio/ballot.php?id=3033
>
> > add VIRTIO_SCSI_F_FC_HOST feature
> > ---------------------------------
> >
> >                 Key: VIRTIO-156
> >             Project: OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC
> >          Issue Type: New Feature
> >    Affects Versions: virtio 1.0 cs04
> >         Environment: Reported-by: Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com>
> >            Reporter: Paolo Bonzini
> >            Assignee: Paolo Bonzini
> >              Labels: Extension, request_tc_discussion
> >             Fix For: virtio 1.1 cs01
> >

> > The new feature bit, and related configuration fields, allow showing a virtio-scsi device as a Fibre Channel host, including support for live migration.
> > The feature is modeled on Hyper-V's SCSI device Fibre Channel host support and should be similarly easy to implement in Linux.

I'm a bit surprised that this is up for vote, since there seemed to be
a bit of discussion on the virtualization list about this approach, and
it did not yet seem everybody liked this (although discussion seems to
have wound down).

I'm not familiar with this topic, and don't oppose this change, but
should we wait until all of the involved devs are happy with the general
design? Or is the current state good enough?