Subject: Re: Protected master branch on three VIRTIO GitHub repositories

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:55:44AM -0500, Robin Cover wrote:
> Hello Michael.
>
> Per your request [1], I protected the master branches using
> the GitHub gesture, and I included myself (admin).  I think that
> implements the protection you want [2], though with only two
> active Maintainers (you and Cornelia), I don't know whether
> the risk is significant.  It's your choice.
>
> [x] Protect this branch
> Disables force-pushes to this branch and prevents it from being deleted
>
> [x] Include administrators
> Enforce all configured restrictions for administrators.

Thanks!
We can always go back if it does not work out ;)

> As to the second part of your request (to mark tags as protected): can you
> clarify the GitHub feature you have in mind for protecting tags?    I'm looking
> at the GitHub documentation..
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Robin

What I had in mind is this:

https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/protected_tags.html

I think that we wanted to list tags individually.

However tags are not pushed by default, so maybe it's
less important.

> [1] [M] Please mark the master branch on the 3 virtio repositories
> as protected branches, to make sure they are not
> accidentally overwritten
>
> [2]  https://help.github.com/articles/about-protected-branches/ Ensure that
> collaborators cannot make irrevocable changes to branches
>
> Protected branches:  block some features of Git on a branch that a repository
> administrator chooses to protect. A protected branch: (a) Can't be force
> pushed, and (b) Can't be deleted. [ Protect branches to disable force pushing,
> prevent branches from being deleted, and optionally require status checks
> before merging ]  Disable: git push -f  |  git push --force
>
> [3]  tags ??
>
> GitLab supports protected tags; GitHub interface seems not to...

I didn't realise there's a difference.

> https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/user/project/protected_tags.html
> https://github.com/isaacs/github/issues/1091
>
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/tags
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/releases
>
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/releases/latest
>
> Minimally: I think we (you?) can add Release Notes at this time,
> including a "Title" and prose annotations in each Release description
>
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/releases/new?tag=v1.0-csprd05
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/releases/new?tag=v1.0-cs04
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/releases/new?tag=v1.0-cs03
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/releases/new?tag=v1.0-cs02
> https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/releases/new?tag=v1.0-cs01

I don't think we'll bother with past releases.

> --
> Robin Cover
> https://www.oasis-open.org/people/staff/robin-cover
> Tel: +1 (972) 839-6538