voting message

Subject: A message from Candidate Bob Glushko

Voters,

Below is a message from Board of Directors candidate Bob Glushko.  He asks that you consider this message in determining your vote in the Board of Directors Special Election, which closes Friday 11 February.  Anyone who has already cast their vote can change their vote until the ballot closes.

Scott…

From: Bob Glushko [mailto:glushko@SIMS.Berkeley.EDU]

OASIS is like the United Nations - its members come from all over the world, and from a diverse mixture of corporations, small businesses, governmental organizations, academic units, and non-profit firms.   But the OASIS Board of Directors seems like the UN Security Council, which is dominated by a small handful of permanent members.  While BOD members from large firms provide a beneficial kind of leadership, it means that small businesses, academic, governmental, standards bodies, and non-profit organizations are underrepresented.  The OASIS BOD needs more balance, and I can help provide it.

I am writing to ask you to vote for me in the OASIS Board of Directors election.  I am an Adjunct Professor of Information Systems at the University of California, Berkeley, and the only candidate in the election not representing a corporation.  I have been a member of OASIS/SGML Open since its inception and have represented both a small business and a larger corporation in the ebXML initiative and numerous OASIS TCs, so I understand different points of view.

Standards work best when they combine the interests of users and suppliers. A BOD that primarily reflects the interests of a handful of corporate stakeholders is not even in their best interests!  Much of OASIS' credibility comes from its global and diverse membership; without the participation of small businesses, academics, government people, non-profits, and people not living in the
US, OASIS would look like another technology industry alliance or co-marketing initiative.

You can vote at this link

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/voting/ballot.php?id=680&

Thanks
Bob Glushko