voting message

Subject: WebCGM 2.0 Ballot

Fellow OASIS Voting Reps,

I am writing you as the chair of the OASIS WebCGM TC.  Recently an
announcement went out to the OASIS membership that WebCGM 2.0 was being
submitted for OASIS Standard status [1].  This is an unusual month to do
this, since the balloting will take place the last 2 weeks of December.
The WebCGM TC assessed the risk of conducting a ballot of this
importance during a busy holiday season and felt it had to move ahead in
spite of that.  WebCGM 2.0 is being processed as W3C Recommendation at
the same time, so we could not defer the OASIS ballot to another month.
Our biggest risk is that, with the rush of the  holidays, people will
forget to vote and the specification will fail to get the 15% required
votes to approve it.

Two major user constituencies are relying on being able to refer to
WebCGM 2.0 as their reference CGM profile. They are ATA (Air Transport
Association) in iSpec 2200 and ASD (AeroSpace and Defence) in S1000D.
Both of these organization's specifications have revisions in early
2007.

As Call For Vote will go out on Dec 16.  Please mark your calendars to
vote as soon as  the call goes out and before you get distracted by the
holidays.

I will try to send a reminder during the ballot period, also.

Thank You,

Dave Cruikshank
Chair, OASIS WebCGM TC
Technical Fellow - Graphics/Digital Data Interchange
Boeing Commercial Airplane
206.544.3560, fax 206.662.3734
david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com

[1]