voting message

Subject: RE: [voting] Asking your support for the election of Paul Lipton to OASIS BoD

Hi,

As a candidate for the OASIS Board of Directors, I am deeply honored to be supported by Abbie Barbir of Nortel, who has certainly earned his designation of OASIS Distinguished Contributor (please see http://www.oasis-open.org/about/distinguished-contributors.php). Abbie’s dedication and independence in the service of OASIS is unquestioned and of the highest order.

When somebody like Abbie takes a public position in your support, you must in good conscience acknowledge and respond. I will not replicate my platform in miniature here. It clearly states my principal goals and describes my approach/philosophy. It is available at http://www.oasis-open.org/private/elections/2009board/lipton.php along with a description of my many years serving as both a technical representative and at the board level of both standards organizations and in the open source community.

They say that you cannot “boil the ocean.” Therefore, my initial focus will be:

1. Ensure the continued financial stability of OASIS

2. Keep OASIS firmly on the path towards even greater transparency, accountability, and open processes

3. Continue the good work being done to address infrastructure deficiencies in the website

That said; the OASIS community is a creative one. There are many other good ideas worthy of pursuit. Often these ideas are lost in execution due to difficulties socializing and promoting them. This is why good ideas aren’t enough. A director must work closely with the executive team and fellow board members to exercise his or her fiduciary responsibility to OASIS. To quote my platform, part of that responsibility is to provide “appropriate board-level supervision without impeding the innovation, energy, and solid execution that management has already demonstrated.” My experience as a director in other organizations will help. But, what I most hope to bring is a dedication to the principles espoused in my platform and (at a personal level) live up to the trust and confidence Abbie and others place in me.

I hope that you will honor my candidacy with a high ranking on your ballot. It goes without saying that I welcome any member’s questions or suggestions (and always would, for that matter). Please feel free to drop me a line at any time for any reason.

Sincerely,

Paul Lipton

VP, Industry Standards and Open Source, CA Inc.

Member, Council for Technical Excellence

Phone (preferred number!): +1 215 539-2731

Mobile: +1 267 987-6887