voting message

Subject: The OASIS Board elections

If you haven’t already cast your ballots in the OASIS BoD elections, I’d like to ask you to take the time to vote. Ideally, I’d like to ask you to endorse my candidacy on the Board, but mostly I’d like to ask you to select six candidates who represent you and your hopes for OASIS in the future.

My rationale for this request is simple. OASIS is a significant organization in the arena of standardization consortia, and has the potential for becoming more than it currently is, both as a producer of technical standards and as an organization that can influence the very nature and direction of standardization.  And the market needs a voice that represents the wide constituency represented by OASIS, to offer an additional perspective to those offered by the current advocates.

To achieve more, however, OASIS membership must be more fully engaged in the wide spectrum of activities that mark standardization today.  New ideas, new programs, and new thoughts come from an engaged membership – those members who see OASIS as a “good place” to   bring ideas and proposals not just about technology, but also ideas about making standards and standardization more useful to everyone – from users to governments to providers.

And this is a role that I believe OASIS should begin fill in the industry. OASIS is a significant organization, and it needs to find its voice in the changing environment that is standardization today. This environment is more challenging, more exciting, and more rewarding that it has ever been before – but it requires taking chances and aggressive outreach.

Obviously, I’m running as a “change candidate” – I think that OASIS can be much more than it currently is.  I have the credentials and interest to help make OASIS a better and more interesting consortium.   I also believe that I can – with member support - help lead OASIS in a new and interesting directions.

So, if I can convince you to cast one of your ballots for me, I’d be pleased. But most importantly, I’d ask you to vote for those candidates you believe will help OASIS grow and prosper. And the first step in this is by engaging and voting.

Carl

Carl Cargill

Principal Scientist, Standards

Adobe Systems