voting message

Subject: OASIS Election - Ask For Support

You may know that I am running as IBM's rep on the OASIS Board of Directors and, I'd like to ask for your support. As your time is extremely valuable, I plan to only send out one such public message during this election cycle.

If you have any questions about myself, my experience, or my motivations for running, I implore you to please contact me at Jason.Keirstead@ca.ibm.com so we can arrange a one-on-one discussion during a time that works for you.

I believe that my background as a senior member of the IBM Security organization gives me the required combination of technical expertise and business acumen required to excel in this role. In my current role, while I am active in numerous TCs in OASIS, I also am a significant contributor to strategy and product development for a very large IBM business unit, and regularly work with CIOS, CIOs, and governments worldwide in that capacity. In addition, to this current experience, during my career I have walked the strata - from building and leading open source projects as a sole contributor, to being a contributor to one of the largest open source projects in the world, to working to build a cybersecurity startup from scratch, to now working in a leadership position of a Fortune 50 IT company - and as such, I believe I have a unique and very valuable perspective on what jobs both open source and open standards play in the technology space, and where each of their strengths and weaknesses are.

You can read more about my background, record and platform at: https://www.oasis-open.org/private/elections/2018board/keirstead.php

I feel strongly that it is vital that OASIS maintains and grows among it's board, members who have a wide variety of experience building the technology that implements and uses the standards that OASIS develops is essential - as the entire mission of developing open interchange standards, is to  just "make the world run", and become as invisible and transparent to end users as possible in the process. As an IBMer with the full support of the organization, I will have a near limitless pool of resources I can draw on in terms of experience with making the world run through open technology and open standards, which can only assist OASIS as it journeys forward into this new era in the cloud. IBM as a company remains firmly committed to OASIS, as demonstrated by its top tier Foundation Sponsorship and strong TC presence, and I'm also proud of IBM's long history of contributions towards making OASIS the leading place to do integrated standards and open source work, which has existed since OASIS was founded (and prior).

Thank you for your consideration - but whoever you decide to vote for, please do vote.

-
Jason Keirstead
STSM, Lead Architect, Security Intelligence, IBM Security
www.ibm.com/security

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Unknown