was message

Subject: Re: [was] WAS Test

There have not been any significant changes to the last published
VulnXML schema, if that is what you are asking. At this point, I have
been trying to get feedback from list members on a couple of proposals
to extend the existing format to support concurrent access (via
ThreadGroup and Thread constructs), as well as engine specific 404
detection.

I have no idea what the sqlInjection complex type refers to. It
definitely does NOT refer to either the original VulnXML, or the
proposed updates.

Your analysis of the current state of Test is pretty accurate.

In order to move forward, the most important thing is that people
RESPOND. I've made some suggestions, and had NO response, whether
mailling folks directly, or via the list. I don't want to do this in a
vacuum, and don't want to do it by myself.

I am happy that we move to using schemas to describe WAS-XML.

To reiterate past discussion, the weak areas currently under
"discussion" are concurrency and 404 detection.

Concurrency is important to allow for tests that require two or more
simultaneous requests to reveal a problem, such as failure to lock data
structures (see the Webgoat simultaneous logon as an example).

My suggestion was to create a ThreadGroup element, which contains 2 or
more Thread elements, followed by a Test element. Each Thread element
would contain 1 or more Request-Response-Test elements.

By extending the spec to allow for specifying delays before each step is
executed, we should be able to describe concurrent requests reasonably
well. The Test after the Thread elements is intended to test the results
of all previous threads together, once all have completed.

w.r.t 404 detection, I have come to the conclusion that it is better for
the detection of custom 404 responses to be performed by the executing
engine, then trying to code all the possibilities into the XML. Firstly,
the XML would become out of date really quickly, and actually, I believe
that it is impossible to describe all the ways in which web servers
react to non-existent pages in such a format.

It makes sense that the executing engine could probe the server under
test prior to the start, request e.g. an index page that DOES exist,
request a couple of obviously bogus non-existent URLs, and determine how
the particular server responds, and applies similar logic to pages
retrieved later. It could be as simple as a "<Test URLExists="true">" or
whatever. This would result in a callback to the engine which would
perform some analysis on the Response that it got to the Request, react
appropriately.

suggestions for appropriate attribute tags or tag names are appreciated ;-)

Regards,

Rogan