was message

Subject: Re: [was] applicability?

OK, that's fine. I guess that it does make more sense for it to be
grouped in the "detect" element.

Something like:

<Detect when="server"/> when we see a new server
<Detect when="path"/>   when we see a new path
<Detect when="file"/>   when we see a new file

e.g:

<Detect when="server">
<Variable name="path">
<Instance>/cgi-bin</Instance>
<Instance>/cgibin</Instance>
</Variable>
<Step>
<Request>
<Method>GET</Method>
<URL>${scheme}://${host}:${port}${path}/phf</URL>
<Version>HTTP/1.0</Version>
</Request>

etc

Seem OK?