wemi message

Subject: Re: [wemi] WEMI Questions Document

Hi,

On 1 Oct. 2012, at 16:54 Peeter Piegaze <ppiegaze@adobe.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Martijn van Berkum <Martijn.vanBerkum@gxsoftware.com> wrote:
  • 4.1: +1 on having JSON only wemi sitemap, no XML, mainly from an ease of development perspective (for a WEMI consumer). It's tricky to create our own sitemap definition, diverging from the sitemap standard, but JSON-only makes it much more approachable. Google (or other searchengines) indexing would be harder though, Google doesn't index JSON files.
There would be no disadvantage with respect to search engine indexing, since the WEMI sitemap would be used only by WEMI aware clients. Existing search engine sitemaps would presumably still be present and function as usual. The point is to separate the two things. The only thing they really have in common is that they are both "site maps" in some generic sense. We should probably call ours something different, like "wemi-sitemap.json" or "wemimap.json".
A disadvantage would be that we create a new standard, next to the sitemap standard, but one that is very close to that one, main difference is the notation. We should imho be careful not to introduce new standards if existing onces could be used. And we discussed in Copenhagen that it would be an interesting use case that crawlers could use this presentation free content too. In this case though, I think the benefit of ease of development with of a json notation for the sitemap would be prefered.

Martijn