wemi message

Subject: Next WEMI meeting, agenda & competing standards

Hello,

I would like to propose that we meet in a couple of weeks to discuss the current status of WEMI, the next steps and a few other issues.

Here is a possible proposed agenda:

1. A quick summary of what has been done so far
2. A presentation of the interesting ideas that came up recently
3. A way forward
4. (Quick) discussion about the competing standards, their overlap with our work, and what that means for WEMI
5. Chair and co-chair elections, as this is required by the OASIS process

Thomas and I have been working on a document that covers point 1 to 4. You can find it here :
https://docs.google.com/a/jahia.com/document/d/1AhGjcVLGJpduxQnkGZznfU54Spt7LQMN1NjakhxjaAI/edit#

Among the competing standards that have been brought to our attention is the following one:
http://www.w3.org/community/custexpdata/
They have also published a draft available here :
http://www.w3.org/community/custexpdata/wiki/images/9/93/W3C_CustomerExperienceDigitalDataAcquisition_Draft_v0.5.pdf

There is definitely some overlap with the recent discussions that happened in our own group, so we would like to have a (quick) discussion during the next meeting about how different parties feel about this competition, so please take the time to get familiar with this if you want to get involved in the discussion, so that we don't have to spend too much time in the specific and can focus on deciding how to move forward. Basically it could boil down to:

1. Shutdown WEMI if it is too redundant
2. Get in touch with the competing standards but in order to do that we should at least have some kind of formalized document to present (ie a first draft), and see if there is a way to work together or separately and avoid re-inventing the wheel too much
3. Simply work on our side, and completely ignore this competing standard, at least temporarily.

For the chair and co-chair election, we would like this to possibly be a quick election, so if anybody else want to step up as a candidate I propose that you do so before the next meeting in the mailing list, presenting yourself and explaining why you want to be a chair.

In order to setup the next meeting, which I'm hoping we could do in the second half of August (hopefully most people will be back from vacation at that point), I would like to know if there are still people from the West coast currently involved in WEMI, since that puts a hard restriction on the meeting times. So please send back an email to the list simply with a "I'm on the US West coast, I'm on the US East coast, I'm in Europe, or anywhere else" so that I can setup a doodle with dates AND times to make sure we get something that works for most people. For example Thomas and I are in Europe and would prefer meeting in the mornings, but this might not be possible if others are located in time zones quite different from ours.

Finally, I would just like to thank all of you for all your patience so far, it has been a bit weird loosing our chair without any warning, and hopefully we can quickly get back to work to build the best Web experience management interoperability standard that we all need :)

Best regards,
  Serge Huber.

- -- --- -----=[ shuber at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
CTO & Co-founder - Jahia Solutions Group, 9 Routes de Jeunes, 1227 Acacias, Switzerland

Jahia’s next-generation, open source CMS stems from a widely acknowledged vision
of enterprise application convergence – web, search, document, social and portal –
unified by the simplicity of web content management.

http://www.jahia.com