Subject: Re: Is the default process correctly described?

Jon --

>I would like everyone to please read this piece (if they haven't
>already) and attempt to answer the following questions:
>
>   1. I assert in defaultp.101 that the OASIS Bylaws do
>      presently describe a detailed committee process that as a
>      Pennsylvania Non-profit Corporation we are legally bound to
>      follow.  Am I right?

I am willing to agree that this is what the Bylaws say.

>   2. I further assert in defaultp.101 that the process we are
>      bound to follow is the one that I've described.  Is it?

I take issue with the word "bound", since it implies some enforcement, and
we've been operating for quite a while without following this process. I
will agree that it looks like we have been obligated to follow that process.

>I am quite certain that we cannot properly operate except as specified
>in the OASIS Bylaws, and that means that we cannot set about proposing
>changes to the process until we completely understand and are agreed
>upon an interpretation of those Bylaws as they apply to committees.
>If what I've described in defaultp.101 is not our initial state, then
>we need to arrive at a common understanding of our initial state
>before we can continue.

I think that we have two "initial states"; the "de jure" and the "de
facto". While this is a process to create a new "de jure" process, I don't
think we should ignore the current "de facto" process (which has many
problems but has resulted in some very effective committee work).

-- Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@mulberrytech.com