Subject: Re: Default Process: Other Committees

[Tommie Usdin:]

| This brings to mind 2 issues:
|
|     1.  What is a committee (as opposed to a sub-committee), and
|     2.  The "advisory" label and mission of the committees.
|
| 1. Committee versus subcommittee:
|
| This is probably the origin of confusion about what is a
| committee and what a subcommittee.  If, as many have
| assumed, there is an OASIS Technical Committee and an OASIS
| Marketing Committee, then the technical work has been done
| by subcommittees of the Technical Committee.  But sometimes
| these have been discussed as if they were committees
| (e.g. "The Tables Committee" and "The Conformance
| Committee").
|
| While it sounds trivial, the difference may be critical in
| areas of scheduling and control.  If there is one Technical
| Committee with multiple subcommittees the real work is one
| organizational level below where I believe it should be, and
| the chair of the Technical Committee has inappropriate
| burdens and responsibilities.

(Robert's appears to have very little to say about subcommittees
(p. 488); apparently they operate under the same rules as committees.
There have to be some implied differences about how they are
appointed, since the motion to commit would be carried out under
committee rules of order, but I'm not seeing right away that this
difference amounts to much.  Does anyone find anything here that I'm
missing?)

Tommie asks: Are our existing technical committees really
subcommittees?  Interesting question.

Hmm... (doing a little data mining...)

This doesn't appear to be the structure we historically had in mind;
the original press release (14 April 1993) says

   On the technical side, the first priority of the new group
   will be to articulate a clear definition of SGML, said
   Haviland Wright, chief technologist for SGML Open and
   president of Avalanche Development Company.

   SGML Open will establish a set of technical committees to
   handle these and other interoperability issues. Additional
   goals for the next 12 months include providing guidelines to
   proposal writers for specifying SGML systems and agreeing on
   vendor-neutral ways of interchanging text files, graphics,
   video, and other constituent parts of compound documents.

In a mail posted to the Davenport list 5 October 1993, Paul Grosso