Subject: Re: Default Process: Other Committees

At 10:33 1999 11 15 -0800, Jon Bosak wrote:
>| 1. Committee versus subcommittee:

[various quotes with sometimes contradictory terminology...]

>Unless someone can dig out evidence to the contrary (go for it), I
>believe that we've always had multiple technical committees, not
>subcommittees, loosely organized into a technical track, not a
>Technical Committee.  But Paul Grosso's on this list, so I'll just ask
>him -- does that accord with your recollection, Paul?

We (myself included) tended to use the terminology loosely,
especially at the beginning, but the idea was always as follows.

There was a Marketing Track and a Technical Track.  "Track" was
never well-defined.  The Marketing Track had several (on the order
of three, I believe) standing committees.

The Technical Track had a single Technical Committee.  We even called
it the "committee of the whole" sometimes, which I believe is a
Roberts-ism; other times we referred to it as the plenary.  Voting always
occurred at that level, and one could be a member of the Technical
Committee itself without being in any of the subcommittees.  This
Technical Committee was the only thing in the Technical Track with
a standing standing.  The Technical Committee could decide to create
subcommittees that would have a certain task and would disappear when
the task was done.  At first, subcommittees were formed when we had
a topic, and they would just start work.  Later, we tried to get a
bit more formal about starting them up.  Though I know this organization
was described back in 1994 (and perhaps even 1993), I managed to put
my hands on a writeup that described the "more formal guidelines" that
we put into practice in November 1995.  The rest of this message after
my signature is a copy of that message.

>But gosh, this sure goes a long way out on a logical limb.  Does
>anyone remember whether our technical committees were created by
>action of the board, or by action of the membership acting in
>assembly?

The Technical Committee just always existed.  The subcommittees
were created by the Technical Committee, though we usually didn't
vote on it, we just created a new subcommittee by consensus of
the Technical Committee and by the fact that we had some volunteers.
The "formal guidelines" define the more formal methods we adopted
for creating new subcommittees.

paul