Subject: Re: Initializing the PAC

Jon --

When the time comes, I will probably agree to the suggested rules because I
think this activity is important.  However, I will have to think hard about
it. I object to the fact that you are asking me to sign a blank check; to
the tone of these rules; and most importantly to the precedent this sets.

If the group creating work rules consists only of people who are willing to
agree to such an onerous set of rules, what does this say about the
workproduct they are likely to create?  It seems to me that if we create
define a process that limits participation to people with unlimited time,
unlimited funds, and the ability to jump quickly then it will fall far
short of meeting the needs of many people I consider to be important in our
community.  If we don't create a process that is efficient, effective, AND
inclusive we will have failed to do anything useful.  These rules seem to
be optimized for efficiency and efficacy, but at best ignore inclusivity
and at worst seem to be another of the familiar formulas for justifying a
highly exclusive process.

-- Tommie

I once worked for an organization that called a meeting for 7:00 am to
decide what normal working hours should be, with the expectation that
anyone who cared about what hours they would be required to be in the
building would be at that meeting.  Not surprisingly, they decided that
"core" hours were from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM, and suggested a rule that
required all employees to work 8 hours a day including the core hours.
Those of us who don't generally see our desks until 10:00 were told that we
had had the opportunity to participate, and had been too lazy to speak up
at the 7:00 AM meeting.

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@mulberrytech.com