Subject: Re: PAC: Suggested language for CS 6

Jon wrote:

>Thirty days shall be allowed for administrative processing of a
>proposed standard.  The proposal shall be submitted to the OASIS
>membership for a vote at the beginning of the calendar quarter
>immediately following the 30 days allocated for administrative
>review, and all votes shall be due at the end of that calendar
>quarter. ...

This isn't what I suggested, although now that I think about it, it is what
Jon said in the meeting.

I suggest an alternate, that won't take significantly longer but that I
think will significantly increase votes:

"Any proposed standards shall be submitted to the OASIS administrator
thirty days before the start of a callendar quarter, to allow time for
administrative processing.  The proposal shall be submitted to the OASIS
membership for information purposes as part of a quarterly package of
standards-related information.  The membership shall be informed that a
vote on this standard will be called by the following quarterly packet of
standards related information.  The following quarter, in the quarterly
packed of standards related information shall appear a ballot on the
proposed standard."

This makes the comment period a real quarter, not a maximin of a quarter,
and calls for people to vote as soon as they get something.  The origian
language assumes that people will remember to vote months after they are
informed.

This proposal assumes that there will be a regular quarterly mailing
(postal or email) containing both ballots and information re future
ballots.  It could also be a forum for announcements related to OASIS
Committee Specifications and new OASIS Standards.

-- Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@mulberrytech.com