Subject: Re: PAC: Revised language for CM 1-8

Since I have received no comments on this language that I proposed
12 May, I'm going to be urging its adoption in our meeting on
Wednesday.

Jon

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 13:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jon Bosak <Jon.Bosak@eng.sun.com>
To: workprocess@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: PAC: Revised language for CM 1-8

On 1 May I posted some rough language on TC formation together
with a piece that I wanted to add.  Having received no comments on
either, I have added the language I was proposing and also made
some other (I think non-substantive) editorial changes.

Besides committee formation, the other two issues we will need to
deal with in this section of issues are

      CM 7. Appeal

      CM 8. Requirements for administrative support

I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that we are dealing with
CM 8 as we go, but instead of "designated OASIS administrative
contact" or whatever we were calling this before, I would prefer
to use the phrase "OASIS staff" or even just "OASIS" if its sense
is clear from the context; I've done this in revising the language
below, and, if no one minds, I'll try to do this to earlier
references as they come up for review.

If CM 8 is taken care of, then really all that's left in this
section of the issues list is an appeals process (which we haven't
talked about in detail yet) and the process of committee
formation.  So please review the following edited description of
committee formation, and maybe we can put this part away.  Note
that while as usual I'm trying to get some bylaw-amendment
language done early, at this point in the collective effort, this
is intended only to capture our position.

Jon

The creation of a TC is a purely administrative function if all
the formal criteria have been met.

A TC can be formed directly upon an application to OASIS that
meets all of the specified criteria, or its formation can be
preceded by a discussion period in a separate list formed for this
purpose.

1. TC creation

   Any group of at least three OASIS members or employees of OASIS
   member organizations shall be authorized to begin a TC by
   submitting to OASIS certain materials as determined previously
   [CS 1].  These materials include details about the first
   meeting and whether it is in person or by phone.

   No later than two weeks following the submission, OASIS shall
   provide these materials to the membership with a call for
   participation and an announcement of a first meeting.  At the
   time of the announcement, a TC mailing list shall be started,
   with the person named as chair given administrative control of
   the list.

   The first meeting of a TC shall occur no sooner than four weeks
   after the announcement in the case of a telephone meeting and
   no sooner than six weeks after the announcement in the case of
   a face-to-face meeting.  Persons intending to participate in
   the first meeting must register to attend no later than two
   weeks prior to the event by notifying the person named as chair
   of the new TC of their intention to attend the meeting.  Every
   OASIS member and every employee of an OASIS member organization
   present at the first meeting of a TC is initially a voting
   member of the TC.

   The first meeting of a TC must happen at the place and time and
   in the manner described in the announcement.  Any initial
   meeting whose time or location is changed and any initial phone
   meeting that fails to grant access to every OASIS member and
   every employee of an OASIS organization previously registering
   a desire to participate is potentially invalid; in this case,
   complaints will be heard by OASIS administrative staff.  If the
   OASIS staff finds a material fault in the outcome of the first
   meeting as the result of a denial of participation, it may
   restart the whole process at its sole discretion.

2. Preliminary discussion list formation

   Any group of at least three OASIS members or employees of OASIS
   member organizations shall be authorized to begin a discussion
   list for the purpose of forming a TC by submitting to OASIS the
   following items:

    - The name of the discussion list (which must not be the same
      as the name of the list in which the TC itself will operate
      once formed).

    - A preliminary statement of scope for the TC that the list is
      intended to form.

    - The names of the members applying to create the discussion
      list.

    - The member who by common consent of the applicants is to be
      the leader of the discussion list.

   No later than two weeks following the submission, OASIS shall
   provide these materials to the membership with a call for
   participation in a discussion list whose purpose is to form the
   TC described in the application.  Discussion of TC formation
   begins on the list one week after the announcement.  More than
   one TC can be formed from a discussion list.  A list
   established to discuss the formation of a TC under provisions
   of this section shall automatically go out of existence 90 days
   after the call for participation.

      (In the usual case, we don't care enough about what
      participants do in a mail list after a TC has formed to
      bother with shutting it down, so we do not require the
      administrator to close a list after the first TC is created
      from it, but rather we allow lists to time out
      automatically.  This means that it will be normal for zombie
      discussion lists to exist for a month or two.  This process
      implies that on the creation of a TC, a new mailing list is
      created for it that is distinct from the initial discussion
      list.)