Subject: Minutes of PAC meeting 2000.05.24

Minutes of the OASIS PAC meeting 2000.05.24

Present: Jon Bosak, Tommie Usdin, Lauren Wood, Robin Cover,
Eduardo Gutentag, Karl Best (second half)

By unanimous consent, we dispensed with a reading of the minutes
for our meeting 2000.04.27.

Consideration of CS 6 was postponed until tomorrow (2000.05.25) so
that we could hear further from Terry Allen regarding his comments
on this.  In order to make best use of time, we proceeded during
the second half of the meeting to resolve a number of
miscellaneous issues, as detailed further on in these minutes.

We discussed Joint Committees.  The chair was directed to put out
a revised draft for consideration in our meeting tomorrow.

Formal decisions:

   Resolved: That the chair is authorized to make motions and
   conduct votes on all remaining issues on the issues list of
   2000.05.22 by email.

   Resolved: That we adopt the revised language for CM 1-8 as
   originally posted 2000.05.12 and posted again 2000.05.22.

   Resolved: That the chair shall prepare a first draft of changes
   to the OASIS bylaws based on our decisions so far and have it
   out to this list the weekend of 2000.06.03, and that we shall
   discuss this draft in email prior to our meeting in Paris
   2000.06.16.

   (RO 1-3, Rules of Order) Resolved, That we shall include under
   the provisions for TCs in the revised bylaws the same
   boilerplate paragraph used in Art. 3 Sect. 14 and Art. 13
   Sect. 8 of the current bylaws specifying Robert's Rules of
   Order (revised) as the parliamentary authority.

   (MI 1) Resolved, That agendas shall not be required in advance
   of TC meetings.

   (MI 2) Resolved, That proxies shall not be allowed in TC
   voting.

   (MI 3) Resolved, That A TC can revise its purpose,
   deliverables, or meeting schedule by formal resolution; such
   changes shall be considered "phase transitions" under CS 1
   section 6, and any revisable publicly visible description
   (e.g., Web page) promulgated by the TC shall be updated to
   reflect such changes.

Note on MI 1-3: The PAC believes that it would be good to have a
Committee Manual or set of non-normative guidelines for TCs, and
that among other things, the guidelines should state (1) that it's
a good idea to publish an agenda before each meeting, (2) that
votes in which important members of a TC cannot participate in
person might best be held by email, and (3) that TCs are
encouraged to create and maintain web sites describing their
activities.

   (MI 4) Resolved, That a transferred associate membership shall
   not automatically confer TC membership upon the transferee.

MI 5 and MI 6 were found to be moot at this point.

   (MI 7) Resolved, That the approval of a committee specification
   shall require at least 2/3 of the total membership of a TC
   voting to approve and no more than 1/4 voting to disapprove.

We intend to deal with the rest of the miscellaneous issues
tomorrow.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS Process Advisory Committee