Subject: Re: PAC: MT 10 (voting by mail)

Jon wrote:
| | >      Business day -- excludes weekends and such holidays as may
| |       be designated by the board of directors.
| |
| | still doesn't handle the fact that there are all kinds of holidays
| | all over the world; the Board can't be expected to know of them all.
| | I don't have a solution except to ignore holidays and exempt only
| | weekends (which gets you into the problem that the weekend is
| | different days in different places ...)
|
| I grant all the difficulties, but I have to consider some solution
| to this better than no solution.  I think it's significant that
| this problem has arisen as a serious issue in both W3C and in the
| IW3C2.  It has to be dealt with somehow.
|
| Here are the only solutions that I can think of:
|
| 1. Every year, have the board determine the holiday schedule for
|    all OASIS TCs.  Advantage: uniformity of planning across
|    different activities.

No board should have to calculate all holidays worldwide.

| 2. Every year, have each TC determine its holiday schedule for the
|    year and adopt it as a standing rule.  (Remember that standing
|    rules require a 2/3 majority for adoption.)  Advantage: the TC
|    takes into account the observances of its individual members.

Liable to error, will take up time unnecessarily.

| 3. As in #1, but allow TCs to override the holiday schedule set by
|    the board.  Advantage: maybe the best of both.

I prefer allowing enough time that no matter how many national
holidays occur within the period for voting every member has
enough working days (according to his own schedule).

regards, Terry