Subject: getting the ER TC going

Lauren asked:
| I am now going to abuse my membership of this list by asking for
| some basic confirmation of whether what I've read in Robert's is
| a) right
| b) applicable
|
| I still think we should have some "tech newbie chairs about
| Robert's" sessions - maybe someone could volunteer a couple of
| hours at various XML conferences?

Unfortunately I'll miss the Monday call, and so far I'm not
going to be in D.C.

| Anyway, getting to my questions. The entity resolution TC will have
| its first phone call next week. The chair position is settled (me).
|
| 1) If I read Robert's right, we also need a secretary, and election of
| the secretary is the first order of business - is this correct?

I suppose the absolutely first order of business is for the chair
verify that there is a quorum and if there is to call the meeting
to order.  But yes, you need minutes so you need to get the
secretary chosen so you can start recording them.

| 2) I also have an editor lined up - we don't say anything in our
| process about how editors of specs get chosen, and Robert's
| doesn't either. So should there, or must there, be an election?

If our process doesn't say, I guess it's up to the TC to decide
how to agree with your choice.

| 3) Does subscribing to the mail list automatically notify the chair of
| intention to attend the first meeting, or does this notification have to
| be separate? I guess it has to be separate, since in the section
| under TC visibility we say people can subscribe to the general list
| without being members of the TC.

Right.

| Since I missed this, and didn't
| remind people subscribed to the mailing list to send me email
| saying they want to be members 15 days before the first meeting,
| do I now have to postpone the first meeting since I have nobody
| who sent me that specific email? Or can I ignore the 15 day
| requirement, since all people who are subscribed did so at least 15
| days before the meeting. (On another note, is the system already
| in place to stop people who aren't members posting to the general
| list?)

I missed the part where we pledged to attend meetings and were approved
as a TC.  Are we at the optional first step:

====
How is a TC formed?
An optional first step to creating a TC is the formation of a discussion email list. Three or more people eligible to participate in TCs may form a list to discuss forming a TC by submitting to OASIS

names of the three eligible participants
name of the discussion leader
name of the discussion list
preliminary scope of the discussion.
OASIS will create an email list that will exist for up to 90 days. The
purpose of this discussion list is to decide the information that must
be provided to OASIS for creation of the TC.
====

we do have a mailing list and are listed as a TC but there's no
archive, so I may have failed to save the relevant messages.

or are we at the formal beginning:

===
A TC is formed by three or more eligible participants. They must
submit to OASIS the following:

name of the TC
statement of purpose
list of deliverables and projected dates
language in which the TC will conduct business
date, time and place of the first meeting
proposed meeting schedule for the first year
names and email addresses of members (minimum three)
name of chair
names of meeting sponsors (for both phone and face-to-face meetings).
If the above conditions are met, OASIS will, within 15 days, send out a
call for participation to all members and will create general and
comment email lists and a web page for use by the TC. If the above
conditions are not met, then OASIS will, within 15 days, respond to
the submitters stating this.

The first meeting of the TC may occur any time at least 30 days
after the call for participation (45 days for a face-to-face meeting)
to allow time for all eligible participants to attend.
===

Karl?

regards, Terry