Subject: Re: feedback requested

At 01/04/07 13:36 -0400, B. Tommie Usdin wrote:
>It looks to me, just from the excepts of Karl's message you quoted in your
>message, like someone (Karl, the TAC, the Board, ... ?) is trying to undo
>the most important thing the PAC agreed on; te basic principle behind the
>entire process.

I don't know the source of the initiative in OASIS or the worrying comment
"We haven't yet worked out all the details of this plan, but like the idea
so far."

>We agreed on the value in letting people work on anything, including:
>    -  allowing several contradictory or conflicting activities,
>       which were allowed but not obligated to coordinate;
>
>    - activities that were unlikely to succeed; and
>
>    - activities that were of interest to only a few people or organizations.
>
>We agreed that this was a good idea partly because control of the
>techincal agendas of the TCs was impractical (as the number increases the
>control burden increases exponentially) and (more important) because it
>stifles innivation.

Precisely!  I understood the objective was a process of maintenance and
support, sustaining a large number of TCs whatever they were doing.

I think any kind of such control will undo much of the accomplishment of
the process and will stymie its use by members.

--
G. Ken Holman                      mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.               http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/

Training Blitz: 3-days XSLT/XPath, 2-days XSLFO in Ottawa 2001-06-18/22