Subject: Minutes of the OASIS PAC meeting 2001.06.27

MINUTES OF THE OASIS PROCESS ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING 2001.06.27

Voting Members Present

   Karl Best
   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Robin Cover
   Eduardo Gutentag
   Debbie Lapeyre
   Tommie Usdin
   Lauren Wood

Absent with Regrets

   Ken Holman

Proceedings

   For the sake of consistency with the record of the last meeting
   (2001.06.13), the chair took notes and has prepared these
   minutes.

   We continued with the plan decided on in meetings held
   2001.04.18 and 2001.05.30 to consider a number of issues
   related to the existing OASIS TC process before ending this
   phase of the process development work.  In this meeting, we
   finished the half of the issues list provided by Karl Best that
   was left over from the previous one.  In the summary below, the
   numbers refer to the issue numbers in Karl's list.

Action Items

   In our last meeting we said:

      In addition to the recommendations listed below, the PAC
      hereby requests the OASIS board of directors (1) to note
      that the PAC intends to submit all of our proposed
      amendations to the current OASIS TC process for
      consideration by the board at the board meeting scheduled
      for 2 August 2001, and (2) to schedule a special meeting or
      conference call after formation of the new board following
      the annual board elections in order that the PAC may present
      the plan arrived at between the PAC and the TAC regarding
      the direction to be taken in further development of the
      OASIS technical committee process.  We propose a phone
      conference from 11 a.m. from 1 p.m. California time 22
      August 2001 for this meeting.

   It was noted that the next board conference call would take
   place 12 July, and that we would have to have proposals in to
   the board 7-10 days in advance of that meeting to be
   considered.  The chair took the action to contact Patrick
   Gannon in order for our proposals to be considered in that
   meeting.

   The chair also took an action to notify James Clark, Chair of
   the Relax NG TC, of our action with regard to Issue 16.

   Editorial note and apology from the chair: I screwed up and
   didn't get the proposals drafted in time for the Board to
   consider in its meeting of 12 July.  After talking to Karl, I
   am preparing drafts for the Board to consider at its meeting 2
   August instead.

Meetings

   We are next scheduled to meet by phone 11 a.m. to 1 p.m
   California time on 22 August 2001.  We hope to spend that time
   explaining to the Board our plan for moving forward with the
   creation of a process for Board initiatives.

Jon

DISPOSITION OF ISSUES, 2001.06.27

Issue 11: Standards Process: the term "standard"

   Discussion: "Standard" is the word that's used in our IPR
   policy; this alone is a good reason not to change what we call
   the output of the two-phase OASIS process.  Beyond that, our
   process meets the generic criteria for a standards organization
   in that it's democratic and is open to participation by all
   interested parties.

   Resolution: Let it stand.  The Board can change this if it
   wants, but it will also have to revise its IPR policy to
   reflect the change.

Issue 12: Possible shortcuts to standardization

   Discussion: The current rules require a TC to be formed in
   order to bring a specification developed outside of OASIS into
   the standardization process.  (The TC forms and holds one
   meeting, the purpose of which is to put the outside spec into
   the process as the output of an OASIS TC.)  This adds a certain
   amount of delay (maximum 45 days) to a decision process that
   takes several months anyway.

   Resolution: Let it stand.  Forty-five days is not too long in
   the approval cycle of a real standard, and in any case, the
   existence of a TC is assumed in the standardization process for
   cases in which comments are received during the voting period.

Issue 13: Committees not aiming for standardization

   Discussion: The question is whether committees not aiming to
   produce a standard (i.e., committees working on test suites)
   should still have to submit their work for review by the entire
   membership.

   Resolution: A TC can agree to create something not intended for
   standardization.  If a test suite takes the form of a
   specification, it can be submitted for a vote, but it doesn't
   have to be.  In designing the process, we deliberately
   conflated "standing committees" and "ad hoc committees" so that
   TCs could fulfill either role.  So there is no requirement that
   a TC has to produce input to the standardization process.  No
   change is needed here.

Issue 14: Voting by new member organizations

   Discussion: To prevent vote stacking, we need to prohibit
   organizations that join OASIS during the evaluation period for
   a proposed standard from voting on that standard.

   Resolution: we recommend that Article 15, "Standards Process,"
   be amended by inserting the following new paragraph between the
   paragraph beginning "In votes upon proposed OASIS standards"
   and the paragraph beginning "The results of a vote on a
   proposed standard":

      For purposes of this section, "voting OASIS member" shall
      include only those members entitled to vote when the
      proposed standard is submitted for review.  Members joining
      OASIS after submission of the proposal for review shall not
      be entitled to vote on the proposal and shall not be counted
      in determining approval or disapproval of the proposal.

Issue 15: IPR compliance

   Discussion: As we did when we first considered IPR during
   design of the TC process, we wish to do everything we can to
   prevent companies from participating in standards work in a way
   that creates hidden dependencies on their patents or
   copyrights.  But we keep returning to the facts that (a) the
   PAC does not own the IPR policy, which is a creation of the
   Board, and (b) it is very difficult to devise a method whereby
   OASIS member representatives can testably certify the state of
   their knowledge regarding their company's IPR.

   Resolution: We recommend that a new item (g) be added to the
   checklist of items that must be submitted by a TC when
   proposing a standard:

      g. A statement from the chair of the TC certifying that all
         members of the TC have been provided with a copy of the
         OASIS IPR policy.

Issue 16: Mail lists

   Discussion: Two mail lists, a general list and a comment list,
   are created for each OASIS TC.  The comment list is described
   as follows:

      The comment list of a TC shall be open to contributions from
      every PEOTCP, and may also be enabled to accept comments
      from other groups or from the public at large by resolution
      of the TC.  TCs shall not be required to respond to
      comments.

   The idea was to create one list open only to members of the TC
   and another list that could receive input from a larger
   audience but that TC members were not required to read.  Since
   mail from the comment lists has been forwarded to the general
   lists, however, the function of this distinction hasn't been
   clear.

   Resolutions:

   1. We recommend that Karl disable the forwarding from the
      comment lists to the general lists so that the system can be
      allowed to function as designed.

   2. To reduce management overhead in the comment lists, we
      should make all comment lists subscribable by the public.
      Thus, we recommend that the paragraph cited above be amended
      to read as follows:

         The comment list of a TC shall be publicly subscribable.
         TCs shall not be required to respond to comments.

   3. To reduce management overhead in the general lists, we
      should make all TC general lists subscribable only by
      members of the TC and subscribable by other PEOTCPs only by
      formal resolution of the TC.

      Existing language:

         Every PEOTCP shall be able to subscribe to the general
         mailing list of any TC, but only members of that TC shall
         be able to post to it.  The minutes of each TC meeting
         shall be published to that TC's general list.

      Amended per this recommendation:

         Subscription to the general list shall be automatic for
         members of the TC and available, by resolution of the TC,
         to other individual PEOTCPs.  The minutes of each TC
         meeting shall be published to that TC's general list.

[Lauren Wood had to leave the call at this point.]

Issue 17: Inactive TCs

   Discussion: The process allows inactive TCs to stay in
   existence for 12-14 months before they are garbage-collected.
   On consideration, we don't think that this is a problem; we
   should be able to support slow-moving committees, and our
   earlier decision to require three active members goes a long
   way toward addressing this.

   Resolution: No change is needed.

Issue 18: Subcommittee formation

   Discussion: Subcommittee formation is covered by Robert's.

   Resolution: No change is needed.

Issue 19: TC operation

   Discussion: The question is whether we need something more that
   Robert's to specify committee operation.

   Resolution: We really should publish a set of non-normative TC
   guidelines.  We've been depending on the eventual appearance of
   this from the beginning.  The combination of Robert's plus the
   guidelines should be sufficient.  No change to the process is
   required.

Issue 20:  The acronym "PEOTCP"

   Discussion: The term PEOTCP is defined as follows:

      PEOTCP (Person Eligible for OASIS Technical Committee
      Participation) -- one of a class of individuals that
      includes persons holding individual memberships in the
      corporation, employees of organizational members of the
      corporation, members of organizations to which OASIS has
      extended the benefits of joint membership, and such other
      persons as may be designated by the board of directors.

   We spent quite a lot of time last year searching for a better
   alternative to PEOTCP (e.g., "eligible person").  The problem
   is that "eligible person" doesn't convey everything in the
   above definition and so would have to be specially defined
   anyway, but then many people would not be aware from the
   appearance of "eligible person" in the text that the term is
   being used in a special way.  PEOTCP has at least the virtue of
   requiring the reader to look at the definition.

   Resolution: No change is needed.