Subject: Re: FW: Request for agenda item: Revisions to TC Policy

| We have requested that our Board Directors who are on the TAC (and
| any others who are interested) to attend the PAC call on Wed 8/22.

Great.  Here's the telcon info:

   dial-in number: 888 422 7101
   participant code: 662 467

I'm copying the PAC on this as well.  The call will begin at 11
a.m. and end at 1 p.m. California time 2001.08.22.

| Then we would like to have a PAC representative (expecting you,
| Jon, as Chair) to address the full Board meeting on 8/23, with the
| expectation that the full Board's discussion of the PAC
| recommendations/issues would be preceeded with the appropriate
| background info that Colin Evans (Board Chairman) and I can send
| to the Board members ahead of time.

OK.

| Jon, do you/PAC have any info on what you expect the Board to
| review/decide to submit now that I can include in the Board's
| pre-reading info package?

The board should review the public description of the process,
which has been out since last January on xml.com:

   http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/01/17/oasisprocess.html

A copy is appended below.

Jon Bosak
Chair, Process Advisory Committee

<head></head>

<h1>A Scalable Process for Information Standards</h1>
<address>Jon Bosak, Chair, OASIS Process Advisory Committee</address>

"As a practical matter, the ability of industry to develop
coherent semantic standards depends on the health of the
standards process."
-- Scaffolding the New Web: Standards and Standards
Policy for the Digital Economy (RAND Science and
Technology Policy Institute, 2000)

<h2>The Need for an XML Standards Organization</h2>

   It is becoming increasingly evident that the primary role of XML is
   to provide a syntactic framework for the development of standard
   semantics to enable the exchange of human-readable structured data
   in corporate contexts.   Developers of corporate
		XML applications will often benefit
   from the ability to confer upon certain XML specifications the
   status of formal standards, or, in other words, to develop certain
   specifications under the aegis of a formal standards development
   organization (SDO).

   An SDO for XML specifications should ideally have the following
   qualities.
   <ol>
      <li>It should legally exist.  In practice, this means that it
         should be incorporated, preferably as a nonprofit
         organization.</li>

      <li>All intellectual property developed by the organization
      should be made available to the public under a nondiscriminatory
      license allowing free use.</li>

      <li>Authority for governance of the organization should
      be vested in its voting members.</li>

      <li>The criteria for membership should be such as to encourage
      the participation of all interested parties, with reasonable and
      nondiscriminatory dues set at a level appropriate to the
      maintenance of the organization.</li>

      <li>The organization should be governed by a formal democratic
      process.</li>

      <li>The formal deliberations of the organization should be
         archived and publicly visible.</li>
   </ol>

<h2>OASIS as an Internet-speed SDO</h2>

   OASIS, the Organization for the Advancement of Structured
   Information Standards, is a nonprofit corporation founded in 1993
   whose already open and formal process has recently been revised to
   speed it up and implement some procedures electronically [1].

   The designers of the new OASIS technical committee (TC) process
   have attempted to capture the most effective features of
   standards development groups ranging from traditional bodies
   such as ISO and IEEE to web-oriented groups like IETF and W3C.
   These features have been combined in a set of rules that
   attempts to use technology to bridge the contradictory goals of
   speed and formality.  The intention has been to create a
   process that operates at warp speed while retaining the audit
   trail, IPR policies [2], and formal authority of a legally
   chartered nonprofit organization.

<h2>High-speed Distributed Standards Development</h2>

   Groups of experts forming technical committees (TCs) under the
   OASIS process can create Committee Specifications very quickly --
   in theory as quickly as 45 days from start to finish -- within a
   framework that scales to accommodate an unlimited number of efforts
   while maintaining legal accountability.  A number of factors have
   been combined to accomplish these goals: a reliance on
   self-organization and the oversight of interested parties; an
   innovative use of technology for formal standards development; and
   a fallback to majority rule that drives the process forward even
   when called upon to resolve major differences of opinion.

<h3><i>Self-Organization</i></h3>

      OASIS TCs are self-organizing.  Any group of three or more
      OASIS members can form a TC to standardize virtually
      anything related to the interoperability of structured
      information systems.  Corporation law makes the elected
      OASIS Board of Directors ultimately responsible for all
      decisions of OASIS, but the TC process makes its oversight
      of technical committees largely administrative.  Thus, the
      TC process does not have to wait for approval from above to
      get started.  This enhances both speed and scalability.

      The coordination of TCs is also self-organizing.  The TC process
      provides for both loosely structured, bottom-up coordination
      between TCs and tightly structured, top-down coordination within
      TCs.  Each TC has the power to form cooperative relationships
      with other TCs, building upward to form voluntary coordinative
      structures to whatever extent seems needed or desirable.  Each
      TC also has the power to appoint traditional subcommittees,
      recursively forming top-down control structures of any desired
      complexity.  </p>

      Since all coordinative activities pertaining to a TC are
      staffed by members of the TC, coordination is limited only
      by the willingness of TCs to cooperate with each other.
      This reliance upon the TCs themselves for the resources
      needed to coordinate their activities drastically reduces
      the enormous overhead typically required to coordinate
      multiple standards committees.

      The reliance upon self-coordination strongly differentiates the
      OASIS TC process from other standards development methodologies
      that operate under the control of a central authority (for
      example, the W3C process and the Java Community Process).  These
      more centralized models of governance can achieve a much higher
      level of coordination, but they cannot attain the open-ended
      scalability needed for the definition of an unlimited number of
      domain-specific XML vocabularies.

<h3><i>"Interested Parties": The Invisible Hand</i></h3>

      A great deal of the scalability and relative simplicity of
      the TC process derives from its reliance on interested
      parties to contribute to and oversee the TCs in which they
      have an interest.

      Interested parties must provide all resources beyond mailing
      lists, archives, and administration.  Time and travel are the
      responsibility of individual experts and their employers. The
      costs of phone and face-to-face meetings are borne by sponsors,
      typically companies employing some of the experts (the process
      requires such outside support to be publicly declared).  OASIS
      member sections, which are structures separate from the TC
      process, make possible the funding of efforts when an industry
      group wishes to collectively foster the development of a
      standard without making assumptions about its technical
      direction.

      Beyond providing many of the resources, interested parties
      are also relied upon to watch over the work of the TCs, to
      make sure that each TC is proceeding in the right direction,
      and to safeguard against conflicts with the work of other
      TCs.  Keeping an eye on every aspect of XML evolution would
      constitute a massive resource sink if it were attempted from
      the top down.  The TC process puts this burden on the
      potential users of the technology under development.

      To make it possible for interested parties inside and outside of
      OASIS to act as watchdogs on a global basis, the TC process is
       open and  visible.
		Every OASIS TC is open to participation
      by any interested OASIS member, and every OASIS TC mailing list
      is visible to the world at large, ensuring that its contents can
      be freely discussed by anyone in any forum.  The openness of the
      OASIS TC process is designed not only to ensure public oversight
      of the specifications under development, but also, in
      conjunction with the low cost of OASIS membership, to allow
      individuals and small organizations to participate in the
      standards process.
      This openness has the handy side effect of minimizing the
      exposure of OASIS members to antitrust actions.

<h3><i>Using Technology to Streamline Standards Development</i></h3>

      A key innovation of the OASIS TC process is the use of
      electronic mail for certain types of formal business.  The TC
      process not only allows e-mail balloting of working drafts and
      committee specifications, which is a simple extension of
      traditional committee procedure; but it also permits TCs to
      authorize their chairs to form and propose motions based on a
      perceived consensus or best-fit solution. The ability to conduct
      formal business by e-mail in TCs that agree to operate in this
      manner can greatly increase the speed and reduce the expense of
      building technical standards.

      Another important cost-cutting feature of the TC process is that
      phone meetings count as meetings.  In theory, the total cost of
      funding a TC that conducts most of its business by e-mail is the
      cost of one phone conference per year.

      Of course, most active TCs will wish to meet more often, and
      some TCs will want to organize their meetings on the basis of
      geographical location, but in the OASIS process, they don't have
      to.  As a result, formal business can be conducted very cheaply.
      At the other extreme, TCs that really do wish to meet regularly
      in expensive face-to-face meetings held all over the world, and
      thus in effect to restrict their voting membership to people
      able to attend such meetings, are also perfectly free to do so,
      although the minutes of their work must continue to be publicly
      available.

      Different projects have different requirements for
      face-to-face contact in international contexts, and the TC
      process allows each TC to decide how it will handle its own
      meeting schedule, whether local or global.  Similarly, it is
      entirely up to each TC to determine the language in which it
      will conduct business and publish Committee Specifications.

<h3><i>Majority Rule</i></h3>

      The OASIS TC process relies on consensus for most decisions.
      But it also keeps on hand the full apparatus of
		  formal majority rule for the resolution of difficult
      questions on those relatively infrequent occasions when
      consensus cannot be achieved.

      Formal majority rule has an undeserved reputation for
      complexity. In practice, majority rule in a committee is very
      simple; either everyone agrees on the right way to proceed --
      which is the usual case -- or a vote is conducted and the
      majority wins.  But there's a trick to this.  Using majority
      rule to decide the tough cases works only when committees know
      exactly who their voting members are.  Detailed membership rules
      built into the TC process ensure that this is always the case.

      As a result, TCs can always move forward, without depending on
      an external authority to make the hard decisions and without
      worrying about whether an external authority is going to reverse
      those decisions. Clear membership rules also enable another
      essential procedural device, the quorum.  Since a TC always
      knows exactly who its members are, it always knows whether there
      are enough of them present to make a formal decision.

<h3><i>The Role of OASIS</i></h3>

      OASIS provides the electronic and organizational infrastructure
      for TCs, but it does not in the general case contribute
      resources, track different initiatives, or make policy; that
      comes from the "interested parties" who stand to benefit from
      the work.  The role of OASIS in the TC process is to provide for
      mailing lists, maintain archives, enforce the rules, and
      otherwise stay out of the way.

<h2>The OASIS Standards Process</h2>

   The factors outlined above are designed to enable the OASIS TC
   process to operate at a speed appropriate to the collaborative
   development of standards for an Internet economy.  But the need for
   rapid standards development has not diminished the traditional
   requirement for wide implementation and careful industry-wide
   review.  The OASIS standards process achieves these seemingly
   contradictory goals through a two-phase mechanism.  The first phase
   quickly delivers something that can be implemented; the second
   phase asserts that the specification has been adopted widely enough
   and successfully enough to become a real  standard.

<h3><i>Phase One: Committee Specification</i></h3>

      In the first phase, a TC consisting of individuals (that is,
      persons holding individual memberships or employees of OASIS
      member organizations) creates working drafts that eventually
      become Committee Specifications.  Working drafts require
      just the approval of a simple majority of the TC membership,
      but Committee Specifications require near-unanimity. A
      Committee Specification, therefore, represents the consensus
      of a group of experts working under the procedures set forth
      in the process.  If this level of review is sufficient for
      the purposes of its users, a CS may be used without further
      standardization.  It is this first phase of the process that
      can in theory be accomplished in 45 days.

<h3><i>Phase Two: OASIS Standard</i></h3>

      If a Committee Specification has achieved general acceptance,
      and if it meets certain other formal criteria specified by the
      OASIS process, then it may be placed before the OASIS membership
      as a Proposed Standard.  Voting on a Proposed Standard is not
      done by individuals but rather by the members of the corporation
      itself, i.e., by the member organizations that are entitled to
      cast votes in electing the Board of Directors.
		It is the organizational
      members who determine whether something is sufficiently
      implemented and trusted within an industrial sector to become a
      Standard.

      A brutal but effective two-pronged criterion is used to
      determine whether a Proposed Standard makes it through the
      three-month review process.  While it only takes 10 percent of
      the OASIS organizations to approve a Standard, it also takes
      only 10 percent
      voting "no" to reject it.  The effect is to make it
      easy to approve a specification that has real support (even if
      it's only within a single linguistic community as long as the
      OASIS organizations approve the quality of the work) and equally
      easy to disapprove a specification that any significant number
      of people find to be ill-considered.

   To sum up, the adoption of an OASIS Standard signifies that a
   specification has received the approval both of a group of
   individual industry experts operating at high speed, and then
   of the OASIS member organizations considering the usefulness of
   a Proposed Standard from an institutional point of view.

<h2>Conclusion</h2>

   The OASIS TC process is intended to be as efficient as possible
   while remaining legally accountable.  Its implementation
   constitutes OASIS as an organization for the rapid development of
   open XML standards and puts the present and future control over
   standards developed under the process firmly in the hands of those
   who will have to use them.  It must be remembered, however, that
   the explicit trade-off of central control for speed and scalability
   puts the burden of overseeing the development of such standards on
   those same users, including in particular the commercial
   organizations that have an interest in deploying them.

<h2>References</h2>

    (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.shtml)

[2] <a href="http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.shtml">OASIS Policy on Intellectual Property</a><br>
    (http://www.oasis-open.org/who/intellectualproperty.shtml)