ws-brsp message

Subject: MINUTES OASIS WS-BRSP TC Meeting 06 September 2012

DRAFT MINUTES
OASIS WS-BRSP TC Meeting
06 September 2012, 11.00a PT

Member status changes after 06 September 2012 meeting:

Lost voting rights:
None.

Gained voting rights:
Mike DeNicola
Jacques Durand
Gershon Janssen
Doug Davis
Alessio Soldano
Micah Hainline
Ram Jeyaraman
Tom Rutt
Joel Fleck

Now: 9 voting members in TC.

Scribe: Gershon Janssen

1. Call to Order and Welcome
Mike DeNicola calls the meeting to order and welcomes everyone.

No changes to the proposed agenda.

2. Volunteer for Note Taking
Gershon volunteered for note taking.

3. Roll Call & Review of Eligible Voters

Roll:
Chet Ensign
*Mike DeNicola
*Jacques Durand
*Gershon Janssen
*Doug Davis
*Alessio Soldano
*Micah Hainline
*Ram Jeyaraman
Tom Link
*Tom Rutt
*Joel Fleck

Observers:
None.

11 people joined the meeting.

As this is the first meeting of this TC, all members present and who have
joined this TC as of 30 August 2012 are eligible to vote at the TC's first
meeting and become voting members. These members are indicated with a * on
the roll.

4. Nominations & Elections for Chair(s) and Secretary/Editor

* Chair(s)

Nomination made for Jacques by email. No other nominations.
Doug Davis seconds the nomination.

Jacques explains he can commit to chair this TC for one year at this moment.

No objections to elect Jacques Durand.
Jacques has been unanimously elected as chair of this TC. Congrats to
Jacuqes Durand!

* Positions for Secretary and Editor

Gershon is willing to be secretary.

Doug seconds Gershons nomination.

No other nominations. No objections. Gershon has been unanimously elected as
secretary of this TC.

---
Mike hands the meeting over to Jacques as newly elected chair.
---

5. Welcome from OASIS Staff

Agenda item has been skipped.

6. Review of the TC Charter

Diverse charter; Jacques will try to find out how much interest in each
deliverable from attendees when discussing the charter.

Link to charter: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ws-brsp/charter.php

Disucssion on process and effort required for ongoing maintenance of
existing ISO/IEC JTC 1 Profile Specifications.

- Scope work items 2: Perform maintenance as well as minor modifications
that enhance interoperability of Basic Profiles (1.2 and 2.0), Reli*able
Secure Profile (1.0), and Basic Security Profile (1.1).
--> Expected work: bug reports and resolving those.

- Profiles Basic Profiles (1.2 and 2.0), Reli*able Secure Profile (1.0), and
Basic Security Profile (1.1) are not yet OASIS standards; this is pending
the requirement of 3 existing implementations.
--> Immediate work is cleaning up profiles and intention to bringing them up
to OASIS standards.

- Scope work items 3: Progress Basic Profiles (1.2 and 2.0), Reliable Secure
Profile (1.0), and Basic Security Profile (1.1) through the OASIS process
and prepare them for submission to ISO/IEC JTC 1.

- Scope work items 4: Conduct testing and demonstrations of interoperability
which, at a minimum, meet the requirements imposed by OASIS policies and
rules.
--> Most interest in regular / incremental testing for resolving issues. No
strong sense toward interop testing.

- Scope work items 5: Address issues with Basic Profiles (1.2 and 2.0),
Reliable Secure Profile (1.0), and Basic Security Profile (1.1) and with the
Testing Tools that prevent performing work item (1)(c)4 in a repeatable,
automated fashion. NOTE: The existing testing mechanism for the
aforementioned ISO/IEC JTC 1 Profiles and Basic Security Profile (1.1) use a
testing methodology which may not be amenable to automation.
--> Incremental testing will probably be required. At next meeting review
what is required to do this (agenda item for next meeting).

Charter Deliverables:
--> TC should define priorities for deliverables depending on maintenance
issues.

6.a. Consider requesting the WS-I MS Steering Committee to make the TC a
part of that MS

MOTION: Mike moves to petetion that the WS-I StC will include this TC in the
Member Sections

Micah seconds.

No discussion; approved by unanimous consent.

WS-I StC meets on 25th/Sep; which will complete the WS-I MS affiliation.

7. Discussion of Contributed Work and Issues

Agenda item has been skipped.

8. Assignment of Action Items

Current bug report assigned to Jacques and Doug.

Proposed handling of issue:

- Pending issue might be handled via regular TC traffic and not need a TC
meeting.

- Proposal by Doug: answer back to Cordys: investigate issue which will take
time; 27/sep we'll have resolution ready, talk about this during our meeting
and get back to him shortly after that meeting.

9. Confirmation of Meeting Schedule

Meeting frequency, suggested 1 regular meeting a month, though Jacques
suggests a flexible meeting schedule.

Suggestion for at least a particular week of the month.

Regular meeting schedule: Thurs @ 12 PDT / 3 ET, first week of the Month.

Next meeting: Thu Sep 27 @ 12 PDT / 3 ET as we need to handle a already
pending issue.

10. Any other business

No other items.

11. Adjourn

Next meeting in 3 weeks @ 27/sep

---------------------------
RAW CHAT TRANSCRIPT
---------------------------
Chat transcript from room: brsp
2012-09-06 GMT-08:00
[11:04] anonymous morphed into AlessioSoldano
[11:04] duglin morphed into Dug
[11:04] AlessioSoldano: how do we mute on the phone?
[11:04] Doug Davis: *6 probably
[11:05] AlessioSoldano: thanks
[11:06] Doug Davis uploaded file: OASIS WS-BRSP TC Process
orientation.ppt|19
[11:06] anonymous morphed into Tom Link
[11:06] Gershon Janssen: Agenda 1. Call to Order and Welcome 2. Volunteer
for Note Taking 3. Roll Call & Review of Eligible Voters 4. Nominations &
Elections for Chair(s) and Secretary/Editor 5. Welcome from OASIS Staff 6.
Review of the TC Charter 6.a Consider requesting the WS-I MS Steering
Committee to make the TC a part of that MS 7. Discussion of Contributed Work
and Issues 8. Assignment of Action Items 9. Confirmation of Meeting Schedule
10. Any other business 11. Adjourn
[11:07] Micah Hainline1 morphed into Micah Hainline
[11:07] Gershon Janssen: Scribe: Gershon Janssen
[11:07] Doug Davis: I'll 2nd Jacques
[11:07] Gershon Janssen: 4. Nominations & Elections for Chair(s) and
Secretary/Editor
[11:08] Gershon Janssen: Nomination received for Jacques by email.
[11:08] Gershon Janssen: Second by Doug Davis.
[11:08] Tom Link morphed into Tom Link (IBM)
[11:08] Doug Davis: Everyone take a step back :-)
[11:09] Gershon Janssen: Jacques explains he can commit to chair this TC for
one year at this moment.
[11:09] Gershon Janssen: Other nominations?
[11:09] Gershon Janssen: No other nominations.
[11:10] Doug Davis: we have 10 members in the roster right now
[11:12] Doug Davis: oh 11 if you include the convener
[11:12] Gershon Janssen: Number of voting members attending this TC is
currently 9.
[11:13] Gershon Janssen: No objections to elect Jacques Durand.
[11:14] Gershon Janssen: Jacques has been unanimously elected as chair of
this TC.
[11:14] Gershon Janssen: Congrats to Jacuqes Durant!
[11:15] Chet Ensign (OASIS): +1 to that
[11:15] Gershon Janssen: * Positions for Secretary and Editor
[11:15] Gershon Janssen: Gershon is willing to be secretary.
[11:15] Gershon Janssen: Doug seconds Gershons nomination.
[11:16] Gershon Janssen: No other nominations.
[11:17] Gershon Janssen: No objections. Gershon has been unanimously elected
as secretary of this TC.
[11:17] Gershon Janssen: Mike hands the meeting over to Jacques as newly
elected chair.
[11:18] Gershon Janssen: 9. Confirmation of Meeting Schedule
[11:18] Gershon Janssen: Meeting frequency, suggested 1 regular meeting a
month.
[11:20] Gershon Janssen: Jacques suggests a flexible meeting schedule.
[11:20] Gershon Janssen: Suggestion for at least a particular week of the
month.
[11:20] Gershon Janssen: Is Thursdays @ 11 PDT an option?
[11:21] Dug: 2pm ET works for me
[11:21] Gershon Janssen: sometime the NIST group uses this time as well.
[11:21] Dug: 3pm ET is ok for me
[11:21] AlessioSoldano: 1hr late is fine, more then that might be late
here...
[11:21] Gershon Janssen: 12 PDT / 3ET?
[11:25] Gershon Janssen: Currently agreed on: Thurs @ 12 PDT / 3 ET, first
week of the Month.
[11:27] Gershon Janssen: Suggestion to have an additional meeting before the
next month, as there is a pending issues already which requires handling.
[11:27] Gershon Janssen: Next meeting: Thu Sep 27 @ 12 PDT / 3 ET
[11:30] Gershon Janssen: Discussion on the week of the month.
[11:30] Gershon Janssen: Suggestion for last Thurs of the Month.
[11:32] Gershon Janssen: Final: default: first week of the Month
[11:33] Gershon Janssen: Pending issue might be handled via regular TC
traffic and not need a TC meeting.
[11:35] Gershon Janssen: Proposal by Doug: answer back to Cordys:
investigate issue which will take time; 27/sep we'll have resolution
ready, talk about this during our meeting and get back to him shortly after
that meeting.
[11:36] Gershon Janssen: Jacques: we should use the TC mailing list to
prepare technical issues and try to get consensus before TC meetings.
[11:37] Gershon Janssen: Mike: WS-I StC meets on 25th/Sep; which will
complete the WS-I MS affiliation (which we'll be voting on later on
during this meeting).
[11:37] Gershon Janssen: Gershon agrees.
[11:38] Gershon Janssen: 6. Review of the TC Charter
[11:39] Gershon Janssen: Diverse charter; from test to ISO.
[11:39] Gershon Janssen: Jacques will try to find out how much interest in
each deliverable from attendees when discussing the charter.
[11:40] Gershon Janssen: Link to charter:
[11:40] Jacques (Fujitsu): charter:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-brsp/description.php
[11:40] Chet Ensign (OASIS):
https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ws-brsp/charter.php
[11:40] Dug: anyone know why the oasis web site is so slow these days?
[11:40] Chet Ensign (OASIS): I thought it was just me.
[11:40] Dug: LOL
[11:40] Chet Ensign (OASIS): I will check with Greg in our IT group.
[11:41] Gershon Janssen: Dug/Chet -- nope, I have the same issue...
[11:41] anonymous morphed into MikeD
[11:41] Dug: Jacques - should we record our attendence in kavi or will you
do that manually?
[11:41] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Ok - I'll let him know that several folks
raised the problem.
[11:43] Gershon Janssen: @Dug: either Chet/Jacques/Gershon should do this
right after the meeting and set the correct roles on the officers elected.
[11:44] Dug: ok good - I'd prefer if they do it manually but I know
some TC have people register their own attedence and I don't like that
- allow people to lie
[11:45] Gershon Janssen: @Dug: this group is thrustworthy ;-)
[11:45] Dug: LOL well, sure that's true. I guess I just don't
trust the other one
[11:46] Gershon Janssen: Disucssion on process and effort required for
ongoing maintenance of existing ISO/IEC JTC 1 Profile Specifications.
[11:46] Gershon Janssen: Scope work items 2: Perform maintenance as well as
minor modifications that enhance interoperability of Basic Profiles (1.2 and
2.0), Reli*able Secure Profile (1.0), and Basic Security Profile (1.1).
[11:47] Gershon Janssen: expected work: bug reports and resolving those.
[11:47] Dug: why is there a "*" in "Reli*able" in the charter?
[11:47] Dug: kind of a weird typo
[11:48] Gershon Janssen: Profiles Basic Profiles (1.2 and 2.0), Reli*able
Secure Profile (1.0), and Basic Security Profile (1.1) are not yet OASIS
standards; this is pending the requirement of 3 existing implementations.
[11:49] Dug: Chet - can we get the "*" removed from the word "Reli*able" in
the charter?
[11:50] Gershon Janssen: Immediate work is cleaning up profiles and
intention to bringing them up to OASIS standards.
[11:51] Gershon Janssen: Scope work items 3: Progress Basic Profiles (1.2
and 2.0), Reliable Secure Profile (1.0), and Basic Security Profile (1.1)
through the OASIS process and prepare them for submission to ISO/IEC JTC 1.
[11:52] Chet Ensign (OASIS): Yes, I'll get that * edited out.
[11:52] Dug: thanks
[11:52] Gershon Janssen: Scope work items 4: Conduct testing and
demonstrations of interoperability which, at a minimum, meet the
requirements imposed by OASIS policies and rules.
[11:53] Gershon Janssen: Should be some demo / interop work, but requires
some effort.
[11:53] Gershon Janssen: How strong does the TC feel about this item?
[11:54] Gershon Janssen: Is this an important / high prio work item?
[11:56] Gershon Janssen: Most interest in regular / incremental testing for
resolving issues. No strong sense toward interop testing.
[11:57] Gershon Janssen: Scope work items 5: Address issues with Basic
Profiles (1.2 and 2.0), Reliable Secure Profile (1.0), and Basic Security
Profile (1.1) and with the Testing Tools that prevent performing work item
(1)(c)4 in a repeatable, automated fashion. NOTE: The existing testing
mechanism for the aforementioned ISO/IEC JTC 1 Profiles and Basic Security
Profile (1.1) use a testing methodology which may not be amenable to
automation.
[11:58] Gershon Janssen: Need to keep an eye on.
[11:58] Gershon Janssen: Incremental testing will probably be required. At
next meeting review what is required to do this (agenda item for next
meeting).
[11:59] Gershon Janssen: Charter Deliverables:
[11:59] Dug: I need to run
[11:59] Gershon Janssen: TC should define priorities for deliverables
depending on maintenance issues.
[11:59] Gershon Janssen: IPR mode is Non-Assert.
[12:01] Gershon Janssen: 8. Assignment of Action Items
[12:02] Gershon Janssen: Current bug report assigned to Jacques and Dug.
[12:02] Gershon Janssen: 6.a Consider requesting the WS-I MS Steering
Committee to make the TC a part of that MS
[12:02] Gershon Janssen: Mike moves to petetion that the WS-I StC will
include this TC in the Member Sections
[12:02] Gershon Janssen: Micah seconds.
[12:02] AlessioSoldano: I second
[12:03] Gershon Janssen: No discussion; approved by unanimous consent.
[12:03] Gershon Janssen: 10. Any other business
[12:03] Gershon Janssen: No other items.
[12:03] Gershon Janssen: Next meeting in 3 weeks @ 27/sep
[12:05] Gershon Janssen: 11. Adjourn
[12:05] Gershon Janssen: members in meeting:
[12:05] Gershon Janssen: AlessioSoldano Chet Ensign (OASIS) Dug Gershon
Janssen Jacques (Fujitsu) Micah Hainline MikeD Ram (Microsoft) Tom Link
(IBM) Tom Rutt (Fujitsu)
[12:06] Gershon Janssen: Joel Fleck (HP)
[12:07] Gershon Janssen: ---> processing of minutes: summary + chat
transcript --> send as text email to email list.
[12:08] Gershon Janssen: ---> Jacques as chair should send WS-I MS request
to ws-i ms list, including the minutes and resolution.
[12:10] Gershon Janssen: ---> setup TC officer roles in Kavi