ws-brsp message

Subject: MINUTES OASIS WS-BRSP TC Meeting 27 September 2012

DRAFT MINUTES
OASIS WS-BRSP TC Meeting
27 September 2012, 12:00pm

* Member status changes after 27 September 2012 meeting:

Lost voting rights:
None.

Gained voting rights:
None.

Now: 9 voting members in TC.

* New Action Items:

Action Item: Jamie Clark: Confirm what has been discussed by message to the
list
Action Item: Micah Hainline: look at how much we can do to fix the bug and
as part of that investigate the SVN repo access

Scribe: Gershon Janssen

0. Call to Order and roll call

Jacques Durand calls the meeting to order and welcomes everyone.

* Roll call:
Jacques Durand
Gershon Janssen
Doug Davis
Alessio Soldano
Micah Hainline
Ram Jeyaraman
Jamie Clark

6 voting members present; this meeting quorates.

* Changes to the proposed agenda:
Extend meeting with 15 minutes.
Some members need to leave after 1 hour.

Agenda approved.

1. Administrative

* Minutes previous meeting
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-brsp/email/archives/201209/
msg00008.html
Minutes approved by unanimous consent.

* WS-I MS affiliation update
WS-I MS StC was cancelled, so decision deferred to October StC meeting.

* Extend some meetings
Extend meeting to 90 minutes due to the infrequent meetings and workload?
Back-up meeting time is 1 hour earlier than the regular time.
All agree that 1 hrs earlier + 90 minutes would work.

2. Logistics / Process about Maintenance of profiles, tools

* JIRA for WS-BRSP
JIRA has been setup, see message for details:
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-brsp/email/archives/201209/
msg00010.html

* Comment list and its use.
Comment list has been setup.

* General process to handle users requests/comments

- Process is all feedback should come through the comments list and bug
reports should go JIRA
- Suggestion to systematically report all comments that qualify for
subsequent action into a JIRA issue
- Best for someone to monitor this process, which involves: look at comments
list --> qualifies for an issue? --> create a JIRA issue
- Gershon will start monitoring this as secretary of this TC

- Next steps are: based on issue posted, person to be assigned to issue in
order to work on a solution
- Assignee can work on resolution; post comments; reassign, etc. This is to
make sure issues don't stay unassigned.
- Final decisions on issues to be taken at TC meetings.

- TC agrees to start handling feedback and issues by the following process:

Process for handling feedbacks:
1. Users must report comments / issues on the BRSP comment list.
2. The "comments monitor" (TC member, currently Gershon) files a JIRA issue
for every comment that looks like it needs TC action.
3. Assignment of the issue for further investigation: either TC members
pick-up the issue on their own, or chair finds an assignee.
4. The assignee makes a recommendation to TC, that could informally be
communicated to the user as just in-progress (not formally TC-approved)
5. The TC makes a formal decision about this recommendation at next meeting
- either a resolution, or just a direction to take to make progress on it.

* Inventory: Current set of tools: nature,  suites, availability:  (1) old
profiles tools (for BP1.1 and derived,  BSP1.1): monitors + analyzers (C#,
Java), (2) new profiles tools  (for BP1.2/2.0 and RSP1.0): logger +
analyzers (python, XSLT).

- 2 sets:
 (1) old profiles tools (for BP1.1 and derived, BSP1.1): monitors +
analyzers (C#, Java)
 (2) new profiles tools (for BP1.2/2.0 and RSP1.0): logger + analyzers
(python, XSLT)

- SVN repo -- See
https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/ws-brsp/

Action Item: Micah Hainline: look at how much we can do to fix the bug and
as part of that investigate the SVN repo access

- Micah: our section of the SVN repo is empty
- Dug: we need to upload our src

* The current bug report (Gerwins BP10 bug)

MOTION:

Motion to approve the proposed resolution (BRSP mailing list,
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-brsp/201209/msg00016.html) to
Gerwin issue report, and communicate it as TC-BRSP decision to Gerwin, with
the condition that Gerwin posts prior to this his report in our comment
list.

Jacques moves; Micah seconds. Motion carries.

3. Distribution and management of source code (long term)

* Role of OASIS
* Licensing aspects (Micah), OSS solutions

Jamie Clark shares and clarifies what has been discussed by email offline.

- Question: Past users of WS-I profiles claim conformance and use of logo?
Jamie: logo did come with the work, so we can continue the use of logo,
though, check with WS-I Member Section StC.

Action Item: Jamie Clark: Confirm what has been discussed by message to the
list

Next step is to go to the WS-I Member Section StC, which in turn will make a
recommendation to the Board.

4.Other lines of work

* Profile Specifications Moving current Profiles toward OASIS CS or further.
Formatting & source doc considerations.
- BP1.2 BP2.0 and RSP1.0; specs are complete, maybe should be updated a bit
- formatting aspect; source is XML.
- by oasis rules: source format, PDF and xHTML
- we have a source format (XML); from XML to HTML and from HTML to PDF
should be possible
- problem is how to render the front page.
- so there is an issue how to convert current format to a format editors are
more familiar with, e.g. MS WORD.
- Two options:
- solution1: XML=source, generate HTML (using ws-i XSLT converter), generate
PDF (from HTML)
- solution 2: port the spec (probably from its HTML format) into a
conventional word processor (MS word, OO..) and work from there.
- Gershon has a preference for generating, though front page issue. Need to
investigate.
- Comments and ideas are welcome ; to be shared on the list.

* Still clarify our work priorities (testing? Profiles/tools maintenance?
Progress latest profiles as OASIS specifications/standards?) Who is
interested in what line of work.

Deferred to next meeting.

5.  Adjourn

Next meetings:
- 18/Oct @ 3p
- 15/Nov @ 3p or 2p (tentative)

---------------------------
RAW CHAT TRANSCRIPT
---------------------------
[11:55] Gershon Janssen: WS-BRSP TC Meeting
[11:55] Gershon Janssen: Thursday, 27 September 2012, 12:00pm to 01:00pm PDT
[11:55] AlessioSoldano morphed into AlessioSoldano(RedHat)
[11:55] Gershon Janssen: Host confcall: Fujitsu US Toll Free: 877-995-3314
US Toll/International: 210-339-1806 Passcode: 9589308
[11:55] Dug: hey Alessio! long time no chat!
[11:55] AlessioSoldano(RedHat): hi Dug
[11:58] Gershon Janssen: Agenda 1.Administrative -Minutes previous meeting
(https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-brsp/email/archives/201209
/msg00008.html) -WS-I MS affiliation update. -Some meetings may need be
extended a bit? 2.Logistics / Process about Maintenance of profiles, tools
-JIRA for WS-BRSP
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-brsp/email/archives/201209/
msg00010.html -Comment list and its use. -General process to handle users
requests/comments. -Inventory: Current set of tools: nature, suites,
availability: (1) old profiles tools (for BP1.1 and derived, BSP1.1):
monitors + analyzers (C#, Java), (2) new profiles tools (for BP1.2/2.0 and
RSP1.0): logger + analyzers (python, XSLT). -In the short term: Test tools
access: downloads from http://www.ws-i.org/, set-up in OASIS infrastructure
(we are currently sorting out with OASIS staff the use of Subversion s.code
control, IP aspects, giving access to TC members, for code use / code
updates). -The current bug report (Gerwins BP10 bug), proposed resolution to
be sent out before meeting. 3.Distribution and management of source code
(long term) -Role of OASIS (Jamie?) -Licensing aspects (Micah), OSS
solutions. 4.Other lines of work -Profile Specifications Moving current
Profiles toward OASIS CS or further. Formatting & source doc considerations.
-Still clarify our work priorities (testing? Profiles/tools maintenance?
Progress latest profiles as OASIS specifications/standards?) Who is
interested in what line of work.
[12:02] anonymous morphed into Micah Hainline
[12:03] Gershon Janssen: Scribe: Gershon Janssen
[12:04] Gershon Janssen: 0. Call to Order and Welcome
[12:04] Gershon Janssen: Roll call: Voting members: <Present, Name> Mike
DeNicola x Jacques Durand x Gershon Janssen x Doug Davis x Alessio Soldano x
Micah Hainline x Ram Jeyaraman Tom Rutt Joel Fleck
[12:05] Gershon Janssen: 6 voting members on the line; this is a quorate
meeting.
[12:05] Gershon Janssen: 1.Administrative
[12:05] Gershon Janssen: J: Extend today&apos;s meeting with 15 minutes?
[12:06] Gershon Janssen: Some members need to leave after 1 hour
[12:07] Gershon Janssen: Approval of Minutes of previous meeting
(https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-brsp/email/archives/201209
/msg00008.html)
[12:07] Gershon Janssen: Objections to approval? Minutes approved by
unanimous consent.
[12:07] Gershon Janssen: -WS-I MS affiliation update.
[12:08] Gershon Janssen: WS-I MS StC was cancelled, so decision defered to
October StC meeting.
[12:09] Gershon Janssen: -Some meetings may need be extended a bit?
[12:09] Gershon Janssen: Next meet in 3 weeks?, so October 18?
[12:11] AlessioSoldano(RedHat): any time earlier then this (12 PDT) is fine
for me
[12:12] Gershon Janssen: Back-up meeting time is 1 hour earlier than the
regular time.
[12:12] Gershon Janssen: Next meeting is 18/oct @ 3p or 2p
[12:13] Gershon Janssen: After that the next meeting is on 15/nov @ 3p or 2p
(tentative)
[12:14] Gershon Janssen: Extend meeting to 90 minutes due to the infrequent
meetings and workload?
[12:14] Gershon Janssen: 1 hrs earlier + 90 minutes would work.
[12:14] Gershon Janssen: 2.Logistics / Process about Maintenance of
profiles, tools
[12:15] Micah Hainline: I don&apos;t think 90 minute meetings work well
[12:15] Gershon Janssen: Comment list has been setup (corrected); JIRA has
been setup.
[12:16] Gershon Janssen: - General process to handle users requests/comments
[12:16] Gershon Janssen: J: process is all feedback should come through the
comments list
[12:17] Gershon Janssen: J: bug reports should go JIRA
[12:18] Gershon Janssen: J: suggestion to systematically report all comments
that qualify for subsequent action into a JIRA issue
[12:18] Gershon Janssen: J: assign a person for this?
[12:19] Gershon Janssen: Micah: all have a JIRA account -- whoever has time
can put it in as a JIRA issue
[12:19] Gershon Janssen: J: preference for a designated person; e.g. chair
or secretary can monitor this process.
[12:20] Gershon Janssen: J: this involves: look at comments list -->
qualifies for an issue? --> create a JIRA issue
[12:21] Gershon Janssen: Gershon volunteers to start with this.
[12:22] Gershon Janssen: J: next steps are: based on issue posted, person to
be assigned to issue in order to work on a solution
[12:24] Gershon Janssen: J: assignee can work on resolution; post comments;
reassign, etc. This is to make sure issues don&apos;t stay unassigned.
[12:24] Gershon Janssen: J: final decisions on issues to be done at TC
meetings.
[12:26] Gershon Janssen: TC agrees to start with handling issues like this.
[12:26] Gershon Janssen: - Inventory: Current set of tools:
[12:27] Gershon Janssen: 2 sets:
[12:27] Gershon Janssen: (1) old profiles tools (for BP1.1 and derived,
BSP1.1): monitors + analyzers (C#, Java)
[12:28] Gershon Janssen: (2) new profiles tools (for BP1.2/2.0 and RSP1.0):
logger + analyzers (python, XSLT)
[12:33] AlessioSoldano(RedHat): is there the link of the svn repo?
[12:33] Gershon Janssen: Action Item: look at how much we can do to fix the
bug and as part of that investigate the SVN repo access
[12:34] Gershon Janssen: SVN repo -- See
https://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/browse/wsvn/ws-brsp/
[12:34] AlessioSoldano(RedHat): thanks
[12:35] Gershon Janssen: Action item: look at how much we can do to fix the
bug and as part of that investigate the SVN repo access; report at next
meeting on what we have.
[12:37] anonymous morphed into Jamie Clark
[12:37] Jamie Clark: (Which is why i joined the call)
[12:37] Gershon Janssen: Micah willing to look into this -- JAVA based
stuff.
[12:38] Gershon Janssen: @Jamie: added you to the roll
[12:38] Gershon Janssen: 3.Distribution and management of source code (long
term) - Role of OASIS (Jamie?) - Licensing aspects (Micah), OSS solutions.
[12:39] Gershon Janssen: Jamie to speak about this.
[12:39] Gershon Janssen: Jamie: share what has been discussed by email
offline.
[12:39] Gershon Janssen: Jamie: all WS-I testing tools belongs to OASIS now
[12:40] AlessioSoldano(RedHat): AFAICS our section of the svn repo is simply
empty atm
[12:41] Dug: right - we need to upload our src
[12:41] Dug: tool src
[12:44] Gershon Janssen: Jamie: donate code to public domain; licensing not
important but important is what we want to do.
[12:47] Jamie Clark: (License could be "important" but isn&apos;t part of
what we thibk the TC needs to focus on ...)
[12:49] Gershon Janssen: @Jamie: thanks -- my wording was a bit off...
[12:59] Dug: I need to drop
[12:59] Gershon Janssen: Thank dug; cheers!
[12:59] Dug: bye
[13:01] Dug: dropped
[13:02] Dug: byte Jacques - see you next week at cmwg
[13:02] Gershon Janssen: @jacques to post resolution to chat room for
minutes.
[13:02] Gershon Janssen: Micah: StC will make recommendation to Board
[13:03] Gershon Janssen: Jamie: confirm what has been discussed by message
to the list
[13:03] Gershon Janssen: Jamie: does it cover all concerns?
[13:04] Gershon Janssen: J: past users of WS-I profiles claim conformance
and use of logo?
[13:04] Gershon Janssen: Jamie: logo did come with the work.
[13:04] Gershon Janssen: Jamie: continue use of logo, check with WS-I StC.
[13:08] Gershon Janssen: Next step is to ask the MS StC.
[13:09] Jacques (Fujitsu): Resolution: to approve the proposed resolution
(BRSP mailing list, 9/26) to Gerwin issue report, and communicate it as
TC-BRSP decision to Gerwin, with the condition that Gerwin posts prior to
this his report in our comment list.
[13:11] Gershon Janssen: jacques moved; micah seconded it. motion carries.
[13:12] Gershon Janssen: 4. Other lines of work
[13:12] Gershon Janssen: J: Profile Specifications Moving current Profiles
toward OASIS CS or further.
[13:13] Gershon Janssen: J: BP1.2 BP2.0 and RSP1.0
[13:13] Gershon Janssen: J: specs are complete, maybe should be updated a
bit
[13:13] Gershon Janssen: J: formatting aspect.
[13:13] Gershon Janssen: J: source is XML
[13:14] Gershon Janssen: J: by oasis rules: source format, PDF and xHTML
[13:14] Gershon Janssen: J: we have a source format, XML.
[13:14] Gershon Janssen: J: from XML to HTML and from HTML to PDF shoud be
possible
[13:15] Gershon Janssen: J: problem is how to render the frontpage.
[13:15] Gershon Janssen: J: how to convert current format to a format
editors are more familiar with, e.g. MS WORD.
[13:16] Micah Hainline: I have another call
[13:16] Micah Hainline: I have to go
[13:16] Gershon Janssen: J: so two options: 1. use source and convert; 2.
convert to WORD and work from there.
[13:17] Gershon Janssen: ideas? comments?
[13:18] Gershon Janssen: Gershon has a preference for generating, though
frontpage issue. probably investigate a bit
[13:18] Gershon Janssen: comments and ideas are welcome ; to be shared on
the list.
AlessioSoldano(RedHat): bye
Jacques (Fujitsu): spec editing and progression: solution1: XML=source,
generate HTML (using ws-i XSLT converter), generate PDF (from HTML)
Jacques (Fujitsu): solution 2: port the spec (probably from its HTML format)
into a conventional word processor (MSword, OO..) and work from there.
Jacques (Fujitsu): Process for handling feedbacks:
Jacques (Fujitsu): 1. Users must report comments / issues on the BRSP
comment list.
Jacques (Fujitsu): 2. The "comments monitor" (TC member, currently Gershon)
files a JIRA issue for every comment that looks like it needs TC action.
Jacques (Fujitsu): 3. Assignment of the issue for further investigation:
either TC members pick-up the issue on their own, or chair finds an
assignee.
Jacques (Fujitsu): 4. The assignee makes a recommendation to TC, that could
informally be communicated to the user as just in-progress (not formally
TC-approved)
Jacques (Fujitsu): 5. The TC makes a formal decision about this